A Small Kick

Over breakfast he instructed me to collect all my documents in a file and then submit it to the admin office myself. He said I should be able to take care of such little things myself, relying too much on someone wasn't smart.

The driver would take me there, and will guide me through the university to ease my nervousness. I'd never in my life gone out of the house alone, someone always accompanied me, particularly a man. I would act like a total dimwit, looking for my way around the campus would I be all by myself there. And maybe that's why he offered the driver as an escort, because he saw the harrowing expression on my face.

Mama Jaan had handed over my documents to Amir when he had gone to the door of my house to ask for them. She had obviously asked what I needed them for, to which Amir provided her with the honest answer. Amir said he could swear she looked relieved, and I felt it reflect back to me, glad she found some consolation that I was doing somewhat more than okay.

The driver came back after dropping Agha Hasan off at work and took me to the college. I submitted my attested documents, filled in forms, recent photographs and got the fee challan.

But there was still an hour left for the bank branch to open. So for some reason, when the driver asked me where to go next I told him to take me to Agha Hasan's office. I'd never seen what a work place looked like and when I had asked Baba Jaan once to give me a tour he'd sternly made clear that I had nothing to do with any work place whatsoever. But since I was no longer in his house, I supposed a quick rove through wouldn't hurt. And plus, Agha Hasan probably wasn't someone who'd mind.

The interior was magnificent, the floor was actually glittering and I could see my clear reflection in it, and for a brief second I really wondered if it was glass. Considering Agha Hasan brought this company  up from scratch, I had to admit he had done a tremendous feat. I was truly awed.

Once at the reception, I asked for the directions to the office of the Chairman from the smart young woman who sat with a painstakingly erect back.

"I'm sorry miss, he is in a meeting. Did you have an appointment?" She said in a sickly sweet voice.

I shook my head. "No."

"Then you'd have to wait."

I gave a slow nod, wondering what to do.  "On what floor is his office anyway?"

"Last." Her eyebrow arched up, her tone inquisitive.

"Could you just at least give him the word that I'm here? Please?"

"And who are you?"

I hesitated, flicking my gaze around the spacious parlour. "Um, Warda. His—his relative."

"It's an important meeting. I don't suppose he'd like the intrusion, unless it's an emergency of course."

"It's not," I shrugged, "not really an emergency."

With a sigh, I dragged myself to the sofas and flopped down, realising how extremely plush they were.

I felt restless as I sat there idly, swinging my leg over the other and cracked my knuckles, growing impatient by the minute. Maybe if he knew I was here he could take a minute out for me, and if he could I'd regret not giving it a try. But if it angers him, what worse could he honestly do? It's not like he would murder me, right, and as long as that didn't happen I believed I could survive for a little while as he remained mad for interrupting him.

So with that thought in mind I swiftly strode towards the elevator. As I stepped in and the doors began to close I heard the receptionist call out my name. I prayed to God that I'd reach his office in time to stop the security that she was most probably going to alert from taking me to jail.