Kinda Official

And then by Sunday, the girls found out. And then in a couple of days after that, it became official. Yeah, things did escalate real quick.

So the family was having the evening session of tea. We were out in the lawn, a couple of yards away from the elders who sat around on the lawn chairs. While Nimra and I lounged on the swing, Wajiha was perched on the wooden charpoy stool and the rest were on the grass.

Without prior warning, out of nowhere Wajiha announced it in the circle. I mean we were talking about how Maheen Phupo had left his son's house barefeet, where in actual hell did Mohib come from?!

"Mohib's really into Warda, did you guys know that?"

They obviously did not. I choked on my tea, imagine what their responses could be. Heat rushed to my cheeks at their stupefied exchanges amongst eachother.

"Warda, you bitch!" Nimra growled, her eyebrows bunched up.

"When could that possibly happen?" Aisha mused, quite dumbly if I tell you.

"I didn't know-" I began, looking around at them, extremely flustered, but Wajiha cut me short.

"Liar!" She said with a ... derisive snort? "Mohib told me he approached you a couple of times, but you were all eager to run away. So he liked you all the more, because you were all pious and innocent and hard to get." It might have been my imagination, but I thought I caught a faint whiff of bitterness in her voice.

"You didn't even let me know!" Nimra accused, her tone hurt and an expression of betrayal playing on her face.

"There was nothing to tell, Nimra!" It was a weak shot. How was I supposed to make myself clear? I didn't like coming out as a pathetic snort in front of people, even if they were people closest to me. I just felt profoundly humiliated. And this entire episode with Mohib, no kidding, did portray me as a donkey.

"Really? Someone has been taking interest in you, and you thought it's not worth mentioning. Tell me you haven't been thinking about him lately."

I lowered my gaze. There's one more thing you should know about me - I could not tell a blatant lie at the face.

"There's more." Wajiha dropped in as she swallowed the biscuit she'd been eating, bringing one leg over the other. The few remaining rays of sunlight danced on her face, creating uneven shadows and giving it an eyesore look. I hated her at that moment. She sounded as if she was enjoying this drama.

"Seriously?" Bisma said as she munched on her cookie.

"He said that he'd ask Aunt to send a proposal."

To say I was shocked would be a grave under-statement.

---

No jokes attached, he actually freaking did! Holy frigging Moly! Nimra had all the rights to not talk to me, and she assaulted those rights.

Until that day came, that is. My sweet friend and cousin forgot she was even mad at me as she practically jumped on me, crushing me in a hug.

Wajiha's Aunt and Uncle were in the drawing room with all the men and women of my family - well, all, except that one person who lived in the house to our right. Not that I cared a bit.

I was grinning like a maniac. This was so sudden and so huge and so unexpected, I didn't feel like it was actually happening in reality.

Then came in Mama Jaan to take me into the drawing room. Nimra stepped back as Mama Jaan approached me to fix my dupatta, and told me quite rashly to stop flashing my teeth.

Mohib of course hadn't come. I was made to sit beside his mother, who kissed my forehead and forcefully handed me some currency notes. Then everyone was eating sweets and talking in loud voices, and I was seeing Mohib's face in my mind.

---

Amidst all the moments of joy I had completely forgotten about the person next door and the bitterness in my heart I had reserved only for him.

So I think it's time I tell you how he's related to us.

Agha Jaan is my grandfather, and Bi Jaan my grandmother who's long dead now. Agha Jaan is a father to four sons: Agha Hamdan (eldest), then comes Agha Ikram, Agha Zaman ( my father), and then Agha Hashir (youngest). And the person in question is Agha Hasan, the only cousin to all my uncles and my father. He is actually Agha Jaan's sister's son - who's dead too by the way. He is the youngest man of the family, after whom comes my brother but, he doesn't count because he was only ten.

Agha Hamdan is a father to four daughters: one is married and in Canada, the other three were still studying, Bisma being among them who was still in grade eight, and Aisha was majoring in Architecture. Nimra on the other hand, wanted to be a fashion designer. Agha Hamdan's wife is my least favourite because she's bossy.

Agha Ikram has just one daughter: that being Wajiha. He is my least favourite, because he likes to put propositions forward in every other situation, even where not needed. His wife is kinda cute though, a bit dorky I'd say.

There were my parents then. I love them of course. My brother and I are the only offsprings. Agha Jaan adores my mother because she gave birth to the only male that would be the upholder of our family.

Honestly, men need to be educated. The rest of my aunts didn't give birth to a boy because their husbands were short on the Y chromosomes, and that was not in any case anyone's fault, let alone the poor wives. Why do people blame the women when it's really the men on whom the gender of the baby depends?!

Anyways, next is Agha Hashir, and is my favourite. He was married only a year ago, and God is his wife pretty. Apparently he fell in love in Turkey where he had gone for a course in Hotel Management, and came home fiercely adamant on getting engaged. Aunt Maheen was now two months pregnant.

That's all of my family. Now that you know, let's get forward with the story.

---