Fight?!

I wanted to tell Mama Jaan so bad about my admission, wanted to share with my girls, but only if I'd gotten a reply to my previous notes I’d have written another one. It's been so long that I had begun to think if somehow Baba Jaan got to know that I was trying to get back in touch, and admonished Mama Jaan for that, because it was brilliantly clear that he wanted nothing to do with me now, and of course he’d force her to do the same. If that was the case, I really didn’t want to get any of them in trouble. Besides, the girls promised they’d come back the moment they’d get the chance and if they hadn’t yet, then it only meant that they obviously couldn’t leave the house only to cross the adjacent wall. Only if I remembered any of their numbers, I would  at least be in contact with them and could have shared this big news. They would have relayed it to Mama Jaan as well. But no, life had to be complicated and messed up that way.

Life also provided compensations though, for things and moments it managed to steal away from us, and that’s what I liked about it the most. Because sometimes, the recompenses are far better than what was taken away. And in that regard, I felt heavenly blessed. You’d know why, pretty soon.

Anywho, for now, a couple of days after the merit list was put up, I was sent breakfast by Mama Jaan, and I felt like floating in the air, light and all of a sudden rid of the burdens of stress and anxieties on my shoulders. The mere thought of getting to rest my head on her laps brought tears to my eyes.

This is what her note tucked between the slice of bread said:

Aabir, I couldn’t risk letting your Baba know that you wanted to meet. It was fine as far as we only kept sending each other breakfast, he might not have minded that much, if it isn’t too frequent that is. He doesn’t want to face you and neither does he want me to see you, since he believes keeping you away from seeing your parents would be more of a punishment, because he thinks you deserve it. I didn’t want to upset him with me too, so I was looking for the right opportunity to get out of the house. So that’s why I delayed writing back to you because I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to leave the house at all, sans your Baba Jaan that is.

Remember Auntie Aqsa, Bi Jaan’s family friend who Agha Jaan respects a lot? She called the other day, inviting the women of the family to a Milaad she’s holding at her house. Fortunately for us, your Aunts are not available on the day, and I’m the only one free. Agha Jaan doesn’t think ditching it would look good, so it would be better if at least I could attend it. Since our meeting point was supposed to be a place where the driver wouldn’t get to know too that I was seeing you - I wanted to be thorough, you know your father - this is a great opportunity.

This is the address . . .

I pray that you’re faring well.

It was like someone breathed some of my lost energy back into my heart. Not that I was completely miserable here, Agha Hasan was keeping me comfortable in his house - I was more than just comfortable to be honest -  but I couldn’t be satisfied and live through the fact that I couldn’t see my family for God knows how long.

The Milad was two days from now, and I was already itching to fly over to her.

I shared it with Agha Hasan when he came home a little before the evening prayers. His response dispirited me a bit, and increased my biting frustration. I’d been noticing the change in his behaviour towards me for the last few days - he seemed cut off, distant all of a sudden - and I couldn’t understand if it was because of something I did or the stress of work was eating him. The more I wondered that it was the former, I couldn’t stop feeling hurt.

“Mama Jaan sent breakfast today, a little after you left. And you know what, she mentioned where she could meet me. It’s two days from now, at Auntie Aqsa’s Milad.” I was grinning like a maniac, my jaw hurting as I looked at him with all the eagerness and excitement in my eyes.