Out and About

I first took her for movies, and there she opted for some high school drama and comedy from the list of the flicks available in the next available show. Though my phone kept buzzing with the oncoming messages, I stayed with her this time round and at one point turned my cell off, frustrated and also because Warda glanced in my direction every time the phone buzzed in my pocket.

The film itself wasn’t bad but the couple's in it kept snogging each other every now and then and I noticed how uncomfortable she looked and averted her gaze each time they got any closer. Knowing she watched Netflix shows with such excitement, I didn’t think she would be uneasy with that certain stuff, considering it was a norm and nothing out of the ordinary at all to put on show the acts on the screens in the  western culture. I myself enjoy series of some specified genres, thus explaining the Netflix account I had for  myself, and I obviously knew how far the creators go for our Islamic standards. But maybe she was only embarrassed for having to watch it with me. Whatever the case though, I found her bursts of awkwardness quite endearing. 

We grabbed some snacks after the film and I asked Warda  once back on the streets if there was any place she wanted to visit.

She shrugged. “We’ve already been to all the historical places, countless times in fact. Agha Hashir used to take us to Badshahi Masjid and Minare Pakistan every other weekend, the couple of months that he had before he got married. He actually warned us not to come asking for picnics after that.” she gave a soft laugh. Her voice sounded sombre but at least she was distracted from the horrors of the night before. 

An instinctive smile spread up on my face.

“We even checked all the museums off our list. Lahore is pretty done and dusted actually.”

“Is that the case?”  I arched an eyebrow as I glanced at her before returning my focus back onto the road.

“Mhm. Unless you have something on your mind?”

“Oh, I don’t know. Been to an art gallery before?”  I asked as I rounded the traffic circle and swerved the car to the right.

“No actually. Are they cool?”

“Depends on your interest in art obviously. If the mere idea of it bores you then we can think of something else.”

“Let’s check it out. I want to see how they’re like. You know Nimra, Agha Hamdan’s  daughter, the one who popped in the other day with the others?”

“And why do you expect me to be able to distinguish her with the ‘others’?” I now headed the car in the direction of the art space I had in mind as I aimed for a U-turn on the main road.

A chuckle escaped her mouth. “She always used to be with me. She is more of a best friend than a cousin. I thought-”

My mind flashed with recognition suddenly and I thought I knew who she must be talking about. “Hold on, by any chance is she the one who tagged along with you to puncture my car and water my plants?”

Laughing sheepishly, she brought her hand up to cover her mouth. “Yup.”

“Well?” I urged her to continue.

“She paints. Pretty amazing, actually. I wonder why I never went to an art gallery with her though.”

“That’s wonderful. Do you think she would be interested in putting up her work in one such gallery? Because I have a friend who runs one.”

“Really?” she had her eyes wide, looking as keen as a mustard when I took a quick glance in her direction.

“Really.” I passed her a smile.