Matches aren't made in Heaven

He had promised me he would attend the orientation for my sake, but there I was, unluckily, finding my way around the campus as a pathetic loner. Owing to the bloody fact that I was in quite an unpleasant mood, I couldn’t have even hoped for striking friendships on the first day, because only terse and half arsed responses spewed from my mouth.
Be it during the stupid orientation or the damn classes, my mind only knew how to wander back to the events of last night, causing frequent blushes to marr my face or bring heat to my ears, and then immediately after, kindle a sinking feeling in my heart at the memory of how he shut me out of the room and was hugging another woman just the next morning. My classmates must think, presuming anyone saw me, that I must be bonkers, blushing to myself for no apparent reason.

No matter how much I tried though, I couldn’t escape the feelings. It was what it was after all.

And to top the already sordid conditions, I came home to find the woman’s luggage set in my room and as I was placing my bag on the couch, looking around the space with a frown shaping my features,  she came out of the washroom, wearing even shorter clothes than the ones she had on in the morning. I wasn’t judging her, mind you, but if she had even a slightest bit of inclination of seducing my husband, I had every right to give her some stick for flaunting immodesty in my house.
My eyes bulged out at her sight while she passed me a small smile as she closed the washroom door behind her and started forward, holding the towel in her hand. In a sleeveless cropped top that exposed her midriff and slim fit jeans that showed all her curves, she looked no less than an old bat to me at that moment.

“Looks like we’d have to share the room.”
Such a huge house, and he couldn’t have arranged more guestrooms in here. Blasted man.

“Hasan told me about you. I’m Reeba.” She said as she extended her hand once she reached me.

I threw her a withering look in response, stepped forward, grabbed my phone from the side table and stomped out to the backyard.

She would be the last person in the entire freaking universe I’d want to have a chat with. But avoiding her inevitably also meant avoiding him. And that’s what I did.

Seconds. Minutes. Hours And Days. Hours and days. Time dragged on. And how excruciating every moment was for me before the day something significant happened, I couldn’t ever even begin to explain. I spent the time once I’d have returned from college in the backyard, and if they chose to barge there, I shifted to the front yard, but avoided the two of them at all costs. I slept on the couch in the tv area, for sharing the bed with that Reeba woman felt derogatory to the jealous spouse in me. Left for college earlier than he did for work, even when I had classes beginning in the late morning or the afternoon. At times when she wasn’t home through the day, I of course utilised my room freely.

Despite making all the efforts myself to steer clear from him and that bat too, it hurt not talking to him at all, and seeing barely a glimpse of him for more than a couple of days. It hurt like hell to realise that he too made no attempt to seek me out. I could only imagine the stuff they would have done together and the mere thought of it boiled my blood.

And then on the fifth freaking day - yes, I was counting - I returned home from college to find her getting ready while standing in front of the mirror. Sparing her only a glance I went to the washroom to change out of the clothes, shutting the door forcefully only to imply how insufferable her presence was to me.

Grabbing my dupatta from the couch, I was heading out of the room when she called out my name. I stopped, arched my body and gave her a dead look.

“We met for the first time.” Letting out a low sigh, she put the eye pencil down on the dressing table, and looked at me with her one colored and the other bare. “I couldn’t for the life of me understand why you seem so contemptuous of me. Whatever could I have possibly done to you?”