Arabian Nights

"Should I get you a ladder?"

My heart almost jumped to my throat at his voice, and if I hadn't been grasping at the edge of the wall I would have definitely fallen down. Turning my neck to look at him, I tried to come back to my feet, finding his lips curled into an amused smile. Shamefaced, I lowered my head, rubbing my fingers nervously as I cursed him for getting up so early. I was gradually coming back to my usual routine where I spent the first two hours of the morning by myself, watching the sun rise, and enjoying the presence of countless birds that chirruped on the trees, and the breeze that whispered into my ears. I was meandering in the lawn, when I found my attention captivated by the wooden door for far too long, and decided that I should get a look if by some miracle it was unlatched.

It obviously wasn't, and I was suddenly taken over by a desire so profound that I felt if I didn't see Mama Jaan and didn't give her a hug immediately I might start wailing like a stranded dog. In intense desperation, I tucked one foot against an uneven bump on the wall and the other on the catch on the door and hauled my body up, as I held on to the edge.

I had barely taken a peep over at the front yard when Agha Hasan unexpectedly interfered. Besides what was he doing out in the lawn this early dressed in his work attire anyway?

"I-I'm sorry," I sputtered, "I, uh, I was-I was just trying to-"

"Sneak into the house." He finished for me and I couldn't be more ashamed.

My chin touched my chest as I bowed my head even more - fuck the circumstances I used to be the ballsisest girl of the family and I swear if it wasn't for the unspoken relationship between us, I would have been acting no different than I did before the tragedy.

"Did the girls say when they'd be visiting you again?" He asked.

I shook my head.

"Why don't you try to write your mother a note?"

"Huh?" I looked up. How did he know I was missing Mama Jaan again?

"How about you cook something for her, write a short note and ask her for a rendezvous. Surely she can manage meeting you outside the house without letting it come into your father's notice?"

Oh sweet heaven. Why didn't that occur to me? God, all my creativity had been sapped by the sudden downhill my life had taken.

"Good idea?" He said with a smile, his eyebrows raised.

I grinned. "Definitely."

His smile deepend a fraction more before he said, "Okay now I'd be leaving. The driver will come back with the car, in case you wish to go anywhere."

"We won't be having breakfast?"

"I won't. Have a lot to take care of at work."

"Okay." I gave a nod, feeling bad for him. I remembered how Mama Jaan used to pack meals in a lunch box for Baba Jaan when he couldn't take out time for breakfast in such emergencies at work. Should I too? But I didn't want to go too overboard in showing concern for him and consequently shoot my own self in the foot. But he also had been going out of his way to make me comfortable in his house, shouldn't I at least reciprocate some of the care?

He was already nearing the car in the garage when I finally decided on giving it a try, after all there was no harm in asking. "Should I prepare you a lunchbox?" For some reason as soon as the words were out I felt coy and averted my gaze for a brief moment before looking back at him to see how he reacted.

But his expression was unreadable, face slack. "No, I'm fine."

Disappointment pricked my heart as I saw him climb into the back seat, the door to which the driver had already opened wide for him. I kept standing by the small door as the car reversed out the gates and then with a sigh started to walk back to the house.