Down in the mouth

He had his head buried in his phone all through the breakfast, and didn't take his eyes off of it for even a single second. I found that annoying, because number 1: it meant my presence, infact my whole existence was ignored, and number 2: I don't like being ignored.

It reminded me how Mama Jaan was strictly against the use of devices on the dinner table, and how she scowled when the men indulged in business, as if it was the last time they were getting to discuss their work. Mama Jaan liked peace and calm - chaos freaked her out. Baba Jaan on the other hand seemed unfazed of his surroundings when he was too invested in himself.

I could have tried to divert Agha Hasan's attention from his phone, but the problem was I didn't know how to initiate talking. So I let it go and finished my peanut butter sandwich and tea silently, remembering Mama Jaan and the atmosphere during breakfast in my home as I did.

When he finally stood up, he finally graced me a glance, only to give me the usual instructions.

"If you want anything you can tell Amir and if you-"

"I know." I muttered incoherently, cutting him short, frustration crawling in. "You say the same thing daily." Pushing the chair under the table, I looked up at him when he didn't say anything instantly.

A small smile was spread on his face as he looked at me with amusement. "Fine. Just-take care."

I nodded, and tearing my eyes from his face I turned to leave. God, he looked charming in that blue suit. His tall demeanor, broad shoulders, his brown hair combed immaculately to a side parting and his hand - God, his hands that fiddled with the button of his suit jacket every now and then was very distracting.

Like always though, a moment too long of thoughts solely about Agha Hasan lead me to Mohib, squeezing out whatever normality I had gathered and bringing once again dreary despondency.

I went to my room and standing in front of the door I wondered for a while what I should do. Then with a shrug I took the phone he'd got me and walked out. I'd used it till quite late at night, trying to get the hang of it. But I'd only set up my Gmail as of yet.

Deciding to finish with the first season of the Umbrella Academy and then get back to the phone, and maybe later wander around the house, I shuffled towards the living area and stopped dead at the start of it.

Agha Hasan was standing by the open glass doors, looking down at the cowering figures of Nimra, Bisma, Aisha and my little bruv Rohan.

"Please, would you-" Nimra trailed off when her eyes found me far behind Agha Hasan's back.

Our eyes met, bringing stinging tears to mine.

Agha Hasan turned and I looked at him, beseeching silently. He called out towards the kitchen. "Amir!"

Like always, he came scurrying to his intimidating boss in an instant. "Jee Agha?"

"Be mindful of the guests. Make them comfortable."

"Jee Agha." Amir said with a jerk of his head.

With a last look in our general direction, he stepped out through the glass doors and walked the length of the lawn to get to the driveway. Nobody moved from their place until Agha Hasan's car sped out from the house.

Amir sauntered back to the kitchen, I turned my gaze to them, my eyes resting on Rohan, a huge lump forming at the back of my throat.

"Why did you move, Aapi?" He said in all his innocence as he started towards me.

I shrugged, my lower lip wobbling. "Baba Jaan made me."

"Did you do something wrong?"

My vision was beginning to cloud. "No." I gasped.