Talk?

It had almost been a week since he’d left after Reeba, and college was the only thing worth living for the entire time I was alone in that stupid house. While I did feel bad for saying all that stuff to her because I didn’t know she loved him - and now I know how that felt - I hadn’t excused him for his offenses by any means. And as I had come to believe - triggered from his outburst - he didn’t like me at all, wasn’t attracted to me either, and was never going to as well, so I didn’t want to hurt myself all the more by fighting and facing defeat at every turn in my damned life. I had declared defeat to myself, accepting that I wasn’t ever going to be happy for a time that lasted significantly long, and had begun to live through the solitude that I was subjected to. I was left with no other option.

But then one blessed day when I had just come back from college, Amir knocked on my door. A scowl appeared on my face as I got to the door, wondering what he could want when I had just told him he could cook anything  - except for ladyfingers of course - for dinner.

“What?” I said rather nastily.

“Your phone has been ringing continuously, baji. It was Agha, he ringed me too, to let you know he wants to talk to you.”

So he finally bothered, I thought, and wondered what must have prompted him. The traitorous thing that my heart was, it wanted to listen to what he wanted to say after a week. But my mind argued to not let him give the satisfaction that I’d forgotten the things he’d said and how he’d delivered those words that felt like needles to me. Ignoring the heated argument raging inside me, I wondered why I didn’t hear the phone ring as I turned my neck to look in the room.

“It’s on the table, your bag.” 

I looked back at Amir and gave him a flat look. “What makes him think I want to talk to him? I have nothing to say, tell him to get lost.”

His features immediately morphed into a bewildered look and his arm extended towards me, offering me the old model of Samsung he owned. “He’s on the call right now, Baji.”

My lips pursed as I realised he’d have heard what I’d said, and averted my gaze as heat rushed to my face. I accepted Amir’s phone and pressed the screen to my ears once he’d walked away.

“That was a nice way to say fuck off.” I heard him comment light heartedly and felt a stab in my heart. His voice turned solemn when I didn’t respond. “How are you, Warda?”

Before I replied I reached the conclusion that there really wasn’t any point staying mad at him, when there wasn’t going to be any relationship between us. How was he going to make up to me this time? How was he going to explain his actions that night when he was the one to propose we become just friends? I didn’t want him to say he didn’t regret pulling me into his room when he didn’t mean it. I wanted him to be honest, not force him to accept me when he didn’t want to. It was his choice to make, so there was no point getting all worked up for something that didn’t matter. But yes, I certainly wasn’t going to go back to being his friend if he wouldn’t apologize for yelling at me, even if he didn’t bring up him crossing the line he himself had set. Taking in a long breath, I opened my mouth and said dully instead of firing a sarcastic comment as I initially wanted to. “Good.”

“How was your day?”
“Good.”

“Great. Cool. Um, I, I called to to tell you, actually that it’s going to take me a week more here. I’m sorry I can’t be back earlier, I’ll try my best to-”

“It’s okay. I’m fine.” I said as I wondered if it was the first time he’d stammered, sounding unsure of what to say.

“No, it’s not, Warda. I promised I won’t be leaving you alone again.”