Wedding Bells

I had only two classes and so consequently got off pretty early. Now because I did want him to pick me up, I gave him a call but he didn’t answer. Thinking he was busy, I rang the driver and got home by myself.

He called back in an hour, apologising for not being able to come and explained that he was on a tour. Grinning ear to ear, still somewhat elevated and numb at the same time at the turn my life had taken, I told him it was okay. Instructing me to order something for supper since Amir would only be back the next day, he said he’d bring something to eat for dinner himself.

So once I’d ordered, I settled down on the couch in the tv area to complete the load of assignments I had piled up, all the work I’d been procrastinating since a week, and which was now due in just a couple of days. 

I worked without interruption for three hours straight, only to take bites of the burger I had got delivered from McDonalds in between. And then even after the sunset prayer, I continued working, to the point that my fingers began to ache, and eyes began to droop from exhaustion.

And still he wasn’t back.

Wondering what got him and debating if I should call, I pushed the papers and books away on the table, and lied down on the couch.

At the brink of losing consciousness, I heard the rumble of the car engine in the distance - since I already had my ears trained for any sound should one go off, no matter how low. I hadn’t wanted to doze off once again when he wasn’t home, we hardly talked throughout the day as it was.

My eyes snapped open and I sat up with a jerk, head slightly dizzy from the sudden intrusion from the sleep. He walked in through the main door just as I stood up from the couch and was starting forwards.

“Assalam Alaikum,” he said as a soft smile went up his face, his eyebrows quirking up, “you look dazed.” 

“Walaikum Salam, me, no, I’m not.” I shook my head, ears reddening at the thought that I really might look like a ghoul.

“Were you sleeping?” He asked as he approached me by the end of the couch and brushed his lips across my forehead in a quick kiss. Butterflies fluttered in my stomach, causing a blush on my face with their rapid movements.

Oh God, it felt like a dream.

“Was about to.” I said as he pulled away.

“Sorry for being late. Had an interesting development to take care of. You might want to hear it too.”

“What is it?”

“I’ll tell you. Did you have dinner?”

“No.”

“Good, I brought some for us. Set the table while I change, yeah?”

“Mhm.” I nodded and he turned to walk towards the room.

It was a bit hard to keep my eyes open while we ate, which was mostly in silence, save for his little questions about my day today at college and how my assignments were coming off. With short responses, I focused more on forcing my mind to stay awake than at any other task. And so when he left the table to attend to a call that interrupted our dinner, I quickly finished mine and went back to the couch to take a quick few moments of zizz while he talked over the phone.

It seemed like a couple of minutes when I felt him tap me lightly by the shoulder.

“Why not come to the room and take proper rest?” He spoke lightly.
I don’t know why but a silly giggle bubbled from my mouth. With half open eyes, I moved my head in a nod. “Okay.”