The Last Time

The day after we were engaged, Mohib, as per the routine, came to pick Wajiha up. I came out to steal a glance at him, and found him looking around for me.

Standing by the car in the driveway, hands shoved into the pockets, he seemed quite eager. I grinned sheepishly and turned around to leave, but he had spotted me pressed against the wall of the alley that took to the backyard.

"Hey, wait!"

He jogged forward to reach me, and once he did, I saw his eyebrows arch up as he came around to step in front of me.

"You're still running away, why?" His tone was a tad bit accusatory.  "Am I still not allowed to talk to you?"

I shook my head in mock solemnity. In complete honesty, I enjoyed looking at his desperate and agitated state. It amused me to no end.

"Is that so?"

Was that a challenge?

"Yeah." I nodded.

"Well then, come on." And without warning, he took me by the wrist and pulled me towards the house.

I was confused, and maybe a little scared. We hopped up the porch, strode in through the front door, and then Mohib peaked his head in the kitchen as we passed by it.

"Where's your mother?"

I frowned. "I don't know, why?"

"Where's her room?" Before I could have pointed though, Wajiha came strutting down the stairs.

"What's happening?" The arch of her eyebrows when she raised them was coy.

"Have you seen her mother?" He asked, as I felt his hand slip against mine, and our fingers entwined. A blush crept up to my cheeks.

"I don't know. Check the store. Why?"

"Go and wait for me in the car, I'll be right back.' Mohib said to Wajiha and then turned to me. "Lead me to the store."

I glanced down at our joined hands, and when I looked up, I found his eyes trained on me. I flushed, and averted my gaze as I started forward towards the store that was behind the stairs.

Mama Jaan was turning off the lights and closing the door when we approached her. Obviously, her eyes immediately went down to our hands and I noticed her gaze immediately harden.

Thankfully, Mohib had enough sense to let it go.

"What is this?" She hissed. "God forbid if someone else had seen you, I'm sure you're aware what they would have said, don't you?"

I dropped my gaze.

"I'm sorry, Auntie." Mohib spoke up. "Actually, I wanted to ask you something."

Mama Jaan turned her steely gaze toward him. "Yes?"

He didn't look the least bit nervous at the prospect of talking to my mother. He really had guts. I liked it. "Can I have Warda's phone number, please?"

My eyes went wide. Wow. He said it just like that. Did he really have no inkling of an idea how matters transpire in our culture?

"I want to know her better." He quickly added.

Mama Jaan looked doubtful, a bit too hesitant. "I don't know, dear. I'm not really-"

"You don't have to worry about anything. I'm going to be completely civil, and I swear I won't cross any boundaries. You can trust me. I just want to know her."

For some reason I wanted to laugh at his sincere tone. Mama Jaan was still unsure. "I'll have to ask her father."

"Sure, no problem." Mohib gave a nod, looking a bit relieved. "I'll confirm tomorrow."

"Okay." She moved her head in assent.

"I'll get going now. Wajiha would be waiting." Jabbing his thumb back towards the main door, he said, and then turned to me. "Bye Warda, Allah Hafiz Auntie." And with that, taking long strides he covered the lounge and then was out through the door.

Mama Jaan turned his full attention towards me. "Be careful, Warda. I hope I don't have to repeat what you already know."

I flashed my teeth. "Certainly not, Mama Jaan."

Blessing me with a stern look, she walked past me.

---

Surprisingly, Baba Jaan allowed. He said he was confident he had raised me in a way that I knew for myself what our religion and our family values permitted us to do, and what is deemed sinful. He said he was confident I would never upset Allah with myself. Of course, I wouldn't. But now keeping in mind the "tragedy", what Baba Jaan said sounds ironic. You'd know why later on.

So anyways, Mohib texted me the other night.  I was surprised because I hadn't given him my number yet, but then it occurred to me that he was with Wajiha almost all day.

HEY.

HI

'SUP?

I WAS GETTING READY FOR BED. I typed in as I flopped down and covered myself with the blanket.

ALREADY?!

MHM. I'M A MORNING BIRD.

AND I'M A NIGHT OWL. SO ANYWAY, ANYTHING DIFFERENT YOU DID TODAY?

I STARTED A NEW NETFLIX SERIES.

COOL. WHICH ONE?

UMBRELLA ACADEMY. HAVE YOU SEEN IT?

NAH, LAST I FINISHED BREAKING BAD. HAVEN'T REALLY WATCHED ANYTHING AFTER THAT.

WAS IT GOOD? WOULD YOU RECOMMEND THAT TO ME?

YEAH, SURE. DEFINITELY.

OKAY, I WILL.

SO?

OKAY, THIS IS NOT WORKING. SHOULD I CALL YOU?

OK.

NEVERMIND THAT. DO YOU THINK I WOULD BE ALLOWED TO TAKE YOU OUT?

NO. My heart gave a weirdly audible thud.

SHIT. CALLING YOU IS NOT GOING TO WORK EITHER. I'M NOT MUCH OF A TALKER OVER PHONE. I WONDER WHY THE HECK I EVEN BOTHERED ASKING PERMISSION FOR YOUR NUMBER, I SHOULD HAVE DIRECTLY WENT FOR A DATE. I'M LIKE MORE COMFORTABLE IN PERSON.
LET ME COME TOMORROW. I'LL ASK WAJIHA TO WAIT FOR A FEW MINUTES SO I CAN TALK TO YOU, YEAH?

SURE. OKAY :P And I already began looking forward to it.

YOU'RE NOT GOING TO RUN AWAY THIS TIME ROUND, ARE YOU?

NO xD I laughed.

YOU BETTER NOT.
OKAY OFF TO BED NOW

OKAY My jaw had begun to hurt now, from the unwavering smile playing on my lips.

GOODNIGHT.

ALLAH HAFIZ :)

Flipping the phone upside down, I heaved a long breath, and closed my eyes, feeling ecstatic.

---

But tomorrow never came. Mohib and I never got to talk.

---