Heat and Fire

He was out on Sunday for most of the day, wrapping up meetings with friends and family he'd been procrastinating for some time now. While I spent hours on selecting the attire for my first day at college. I wanted Mama Jaan to be there at my orientation and I would have sent her a note too, but I knew it would be a needless effort for she wouldn’t be able to come up with a plausible excuse to provide Baba Jaan with in just a day. Mama Jaan just took too much time in making decisions.

I ate lunch on my own and later ordered a small pizza to munch on through the evening. I’d asked Agha Hashir to ask Nimra if she knew my social media passwords and text me if she did, and even took the girls’ phone numbers from him. So now I had finally logged into my Snapchat and Instagram and had some other stuff to do other than lazily surfing through the tv. I couldn’t activate my WhatsApp though, since I didn’t have my Sim Card and I didn’t want to make a new account on the one Agha Hasan had got me.

The girls and I chatted through a group we’d made on Instagram and they probed into every single little thing that had transpired since the time they’d last visited, not letting me take a breath of calm. I didn’t tell them, of course, that I liked him, because I knew if I did, they wouldn’t let me breathe at all. Despite that, they kept pestering me with the most indecent of questions.

“Have you seen him naked yet?”
“Is he drawn to you?”
“Has he ever tried to seduce you?”
“Do you think you could ever fall in love with him?”
“Do you think he could ever fall in love with you?”
“When are the two of you going to sleep together?”
“Do you ever feel like you want to kiss him?”

In short, I had bloody bitches for cousins. Disgruntled and half flustered, I muted the chat and  tossed my phone away on the couch.

As the night began to settle, I heated the remaining slices of pizza and went out into the lawn in his wait. It took two strolls around the house and the evening prayers to blare across the neighbourhood for him to return. As I saw his car drive in, I walked to the gravel path with the plate in my hand and when he climbed out, I greeted him with a perk, a goofy grin masking my face.

He smiled back as he started forwards.

I offered him the plate that had two pizza slices left as I said, “I was waiting. Why did it take you so long?”

“Needed anything?” He raised his eyebrows, and accepting a slice, took it to his mouth.

“No.” I said. “I was bored.”

“Let’s have a movie night then.” He suggested as we walked towards the house. “Feel like going out or wanna stay in?”

“Stay in. Should I order something?”

“Sure, if you want. I’m not hungry though. Popcorns would do.”

“Okay.” I chirped and went to the kitchen while he sauntered into his room.

I asked Amir to get an ice-cream tub and then went to the room to offer my prayers. When I came out Agha Hasan was already settled on the couch so I went to prepare some popcorn.

He unpaused the screen once I was back and had taken my seat, a few inches away from him since we were supposed to share the bowl of popcorn. He had his legs spread out on the center table while I had mine tucked up on the couch.

Even though the episode was pretty interesting and Henry Cavill was acing the role as the brooding witcher, my mind still wandered.

He let out a low chuckle at one point in the episode and commented, sounding amused. “I quite like this guy.”

Probably because his character somewhat resembles your own. I rolled my eyes and restrained myself from saying and bit back the jibe. Since my mind was distracted, I didn’t really know what had made him laugh and instead voiced the question related to the matter that had been nagging me since the start of the show. “Agha Hasan?”