Like Chalk And Cheese

Turned out, I couldn't be more wrong about my speculation and only ended up setting myself up in wishful thinking. And God that created quite a scene when the truth came to light.

Anywho, since we were going in sequence, I’ll tell you what happened next, when we came back home. Since I was quiet on the way back, he was too. He never really spoke much anyway, except for when he needed to comment on anything I’d said or reply to a question I’d asked. And this characteristic of his personality is quite opposite of what I am. It made me think that we barely had anything in common, we’re basically like chalk and cheese. All that we do share is our interest in Netflix - just like how the above two words share only the ‘ch’ sound - but that too differed in our contrasting taste for genres. And still, despite all the differences, I fell for him. And to be honest, who wouldn’t if they'd know what kind of a person he is up close. To people he was a darkly menacing brute, haughty and arrogant, his employees cowered in front of him and wherever he went he retained an aura of intimidation, but to me, nobody was sweeter than him - except for when apparently some stupidly blunt djinn possessed his body.

We walked through the main doors in silence, and it was eating me why he wasn’t saying anything. Could they really be talking about the same stuff up on the rooftop as Aunt Maheen had presumed they were? Was it why he was quiet, because maybe he was reflecting on what Agha Hashir had said? Was he going to say something to me regarding it?

God, was there a chance I could know what the freaking hell was going on in his bloody mind?!

Amir took the bags from me and placed them by the dressing table in my room, and then by the time we got there too he came rushing out and got the bags from Agha Hasan into his hands as well. He was turning to go to his own room when I decided to call out to him, not able to take in his silence anymore. Was he really not going to say anything about it?

“Agha Hasan?”

“Yes, Warda.” He came to a stop, and turned to face me.

“Thank you.” I said with all the sincerity I could bring in my voice.

“My pleasure.” He gave a full-fetched smile, and for a moment I thought I was floating on cloud nine because I was at the receiving end of it. “I just want you to be who you were before things turned around for you. The fact that the incident lowered your spirits doesn’t sit well with me. Nobody deserves to go through such anguish that makes them lose a part of themselves. And I hated being a reason to cause you distress all the more. Consider this a recompense for my recent behaviour.”

I couldn’t help it. Couldn’t help the tears collecting in my eyes, couldn’t help the lump forming in my throat, couldn’t help my legs that worked of their own accord and took me close to him, couldn’t help my arms that went around his neck, and couldn’t help myself from hiding my face on his shoulder.

I felt his body tense against mine, but ignored it. Ignored the urge to remain in the position for some minutes more, ignored the racing heart, ignored the pin pricks on my skin caused by the sparks ignited from the close proximity. Ignored in vain.

With a soft sigh, I slowly pulled away, my face burning, and took a step back. “I haven’t been on my best, and all that you're doing, it’s just making me feel bad. I don’t deserve your kindness, Agha Hasan.”

With my eyes on the floor, I didn’t see his face but he leaned towards me a little and brought his hand up to flick my nose. “Why don’t you let me be the judge of that, huh cherry?”

I blushed and gave a nod. Thank God, he didn’t sound like he minded the hug.

“Good, now I have to wind up some work, would you excuse me, please?”