Some Horrors

I never thought things could actually get awkward between us. The credit of course went to the girl. I never expected her to be bold enough to ask me straightaway about that particular action I carried out. And I didn’t have to provide any justification for that. I was her husband, dammit. No matter how much I wanted and tired, I just couldn’t ignore the fact staring steadfastly at me. And I actually liked her energy and seeing that she was beginning to get comfortable in the house and around me, some sort of warmth was seeping into my heart. Witnessing her getting all friendly with Umair and all the while staying reserved with me really pissed me off. I didn’t think I did anything to make her cautious of me. All I wanted was for her to get back to her usual cheery self.

But all this certainly didn’t mean I was prepared to keep her as my wife. If she was telling the truth and she really was innocent, then she was not the only one waiting for her family to learn the truth. I’d be more than ready to divorce her and send her back to her home. I would never want to force her into this relationship which I knew was wrong to begin with and also while  knowing she deserved someone younger, someone she’d actually like.

---

With the suppliers adamant on continuing the strike until their demands were met, my trip to the capital was inevitable. The selected and concerned members of the Commerce sector were putting in their heads for negotiations and since I was the mostly targeted one in the matter I had no chance to skip through the visit. I had to be there, but I also didn’t want to leave Warda alone at home. Obviously, I had no inkling of an idea what could have happened if I did, I just didn’t want to be careless in her regard now that she was under my guard. Leaning towards sending her to my paternal uncle’s house, I didn’t entertain the fact that she would want to stay here all by herself. Considering the fact that she appeared more at ease between people and was more of an extrovert, I thought she’d hate the idea of being home alone. But she surprised me there, and if I had any time at my disposal I would have asked someone to stay with her.

Fuck, I could have made a multitude of arragemnts to ensure her safety only if I hadn’t been in a hurry and hell, only if I had even the slightest bit of  suspicions that my enemies could strike my abode behind my back. Regerts, of course, wouldn’t have done me any good.

But when Amir called only the next morning to inform me of the incident, I thought I might explode with the anger and frustration surfacing in my heart.  Sitting on the bed in the hotel room and tapping my feet on the floor in sheer agitation I thought only for  a moment at the two options I had; either put my business affairs on the stake and head immediately back home, or stay and attend the sessions and hope that nothing damaging happened to Warda. Even though Amir had clarified that she was perfectly fine, I worried about what the perpetrators could have dared to do  upon finding her alone, and the thought of it made me all  the more furious.

It was a moment’s decision, and in an hour I found myself flying back to Lahore.

---

I practically stormed into the house, my feet hurting with the forceful paces against the floor. Amir saved me from needing to check up on her room and told me upon my inquiry that she went into the backyard a short while ago.

Standing in the doorway to the backyard porch, the glass doors slid open, she had her arms crossed up against her front and eyes fixed at the shimmering water of the pool. Closing in on her, I grabbed her elbow and turned her round to face me, pulling her closer towards me. I later realized I was a little too harsh than I should have been.

For a moment she seemed lost, too far away to have captured her attention, and had a dazed look in her eyes. I fluidly ignored all these details and demanded fiercely. “What did I tell you, Warda? Didn’t I make it perfectly clear  that all the doors and the windows must be closed? That you must not have opened the main door for anyone at all? Did I not make it clear, Warda that you were supposed to be careful, dammit!”