Am I a moocher?

Before slipping into the void of sleep, I couldn't stop thinking about how Aunt Maida had spread such ludicrous lies around the house. The more confusing though, was the fact that nobody even bothered to correct her. What did she even get? Or was it just a night time story intended to entertain us and we took it seriously. Honestly, it was such a headache to think I had spent the last couple of years in a vengeful twisting of mind against a crime that wasn't even committed. Why were us Alvi's bent on punishing our own kin for deeds not carried out? Our family was seriously messed up.

---

The morning that took over us in a few hours was a fresh one. Clouds floated about the sky, the sun peaked through frequently, and the startling blue between the whites - rain would come by the evening. It would have been a normal, blissful day had I only been at my home. Halvi Puri was always our preferred breakfast for such weather. We'd have prepared all day for the evening tea session - pakoras and aloo parathas, nuggets and kebabs would have been cooked. Later Agha Hashir once back from work would have taken us to the bakery. We would have lounged in the lawn, enjoying food and the cool breeze caressing us softly. At night as the rain showered, a horror film would have scared the shit out of me, while the others laughed at my state, and called me a drama queen.

Today though, it was none of that. I didn't realise how long I'd stood by the windows, staring at the sky as I clutched the curtains apart. The knock at the door pulled me out of my trance, and with a sigh I left the room.

Amir had gotten peanut butter for me today, so I ate that silently as my tea cooled, thinking back to the past that was all but lost now. Would I ever see such a morning again where in this weather I'd get to have Halva Puri with my family?

Only Allah knew.

Agha Hasan instructed me to sit down for the research today for sure, and I hummed in response. Now that he wasn't a murder, I could show him some temper tantrums I supposed. What worse could he do? And besides, I always had the plan of striking him with something and then running away and eventually getting hit with a car, and then consequently die. So I needn't worry about his temper.

Agha Hasan then asked me what I'd like to have for lunch, and when I told him anything, this was what he said.

"Lady fingers also come under anything. So if I tell him that, he could have that cooked too. And you wouldn't eat that. It'd be better if you name a particular dish."

I mumbled in response - aloo paratha was what I provided him with. He was quiet then, maybe he ran out of questions to ask me, even though in my opinion he hadn't inquired about me enough. Apparently he didn't like to probe much. Maybe that was why he hadn't demanded yet about that night - the night that brought the two of us here today.

Once we finished the breakfast and I was allowed to leave, I went back to the room and closed the door. Standing before the window and gazing out at the swinging leaves, the small birds flitting about the branches and the soft cotton clouds gliding in the sky, I spent a good amount of time, leaning against the wall. And only when my legs started to hurt, did I go to the bed, and taking Agha Hasan's laptop from the bedside table I engrossed myself in looking for the best University for the social sciences and humanities subjects.

---

I left the room for lunch and surprisingly didn't go back until night. I had thought I'd spent all my days in this house locked up in the room, but that wasn't the case. Netflix subscription was truly a life saver.

Umbrella Academy distracted me from thinking about the evening back at home, and getting all depressed by it. Hours passed like that and I finished three episodes. Towards the half of the fourth though, I heard the sound of a car being driven into the house. I didn't need to turn around and see through the glass doors to know who it was. There were only just two people here. And that lead me to wonder briefly over how Agha Hasan must have spent the last eight years of his life living alone.

I decided to ignore his presence though, because greeting him - since I was out of the room and he'd pass me to get to his - would be incredibly awkward, and I always tried my best to steer clear of awkward situations. I didn't pause the streaming and kept my eyes glued to the screen, though half listening because my ears were also keeping track of the noises coming apart from the speakers.

The door opened, then closed and I could hear him nearing the living area, and then he stopped. Why did he stop?

"Assalam Alaikum."

Shit. I pressed the pause button and turned my head to find him standing behind the couch and looking down at me with a small smile. He was yet again cladded in a black suit and for a moment I thought I couldn't take my eyes away from him without a necessary second glance.

"Walaikum Salam." I responded meekly.

"Glad to see you out of the room." I saw that he was holding a small shopper and car keys in the other hand.

I shrugged.

"Do you know how to swim?"

Where did that come from? I shook my head.

"Do you like swimming?" He raised his eyebrows.

I nodded.

"Good. We have a swimming pool in the backyard. I assume you haven't wandered around the house?"

My eyes had gone wide. He had a pool too? How come Agha Jaan didn't have one built in our house when ours was the larger one, and his own granddaughter was a pro at swimming?

The thought of Wajiha brought a surge of bitterness to wash over my heart.

I shook my head in response to his question.

"Tell Amir to get the temperature of the water according to your needs, okay?"

I nodded once again.

"Also," he began as he held out the shopper in his hand to me, "I got this for you."

Eyeing the shopper, I decided to ask before accepting it. "What is it?"

"A new phone. You'll need it. I couldn't have gotten yours from Agha Zaman, of course."

He got me a new phone? That was when it struck me.

He'd also be spending on my education and ... and I was basically a burden on him. He didn't have to. He didn't have to do all of this. I wasn't some pathetically desperate moocher asking of his huge favors.

I pursed my lips and turned my back at him, facing the LED once again. "I don't need your favors."

"You might not. But you sure do have needs."

"And you're not bound to fulfill them." I retorted silently, knowing in my heart that it wasn't true.

There was a pause. I could still sense him behind me though. I wished he'd leave. "I actually am, Warda."

I bowed my head, my heart beginning to race. Was he going to speak of our relationship now?

"Besides, all that I earn is far too much for just my own needs. I'd be better if it's put to some good use."

Pulling at the thin epidermis of my thumb with the finger of the other hand, I said. "So it's charity?"

His voice turned almost flat. "However you want to take it."

And then putting the shopper by my side on the couch, he walked away.

---