~ Chapter Three ~

Olivia moved from her spot on her bedroom floor by the door to the closet. Her hands ran over her husband's work shirts, inhaling deeply the smell of his cologne overwhelmed her. Over the last year, their marriage had been on the rocks, nothing but fighting and angry silence between them. Olivia missed the way it was after their kids were born. Something about a new baby always softened his rough exterior. Now, she was a soon-to-be divorcee with three kids and a missing husband.

"Olivia?" Ellis called to her daughter from the threshold of the bedroom door.

"Yeah, Momma?" Olivia whispered, moving from the closet.

"Are you okay, honey? You look like you've been crying, " Ellis spoke, a look of sympathy crossing her features.

Olivia ran her fingertips under her eyes and found them damp with drying tears. Inhaling deeply, Olivia screwed her eyes shut to hold back the overwhelming feeling of sadness. Ellis watched her daughter try to be strong, but she could see through the 'I'm fine' exterior her daughter always tried to maintain. Olivia listened as soft footsteps approached her, and a whimper escaped her lips as her mom's arms wrapped around her.

"It's okay to be vulnerable, Livvie Belle. Especially now. I know your marriage has been far from bliss lately, but I also know that somewhere deep down, in that big heart of yours, you still have a love for that man."

"I do, " Olivia whimpered, "I have believed for the longest time that he's my one love in this life, but the last year has shown me otherwise. I'm thankful for him and everything he's given me in the last fifteen years, but I can't live with him anymore."

"Oh Livvie, you've got me all wrong. I know your marriage is over. I've seen it coming for a while now. . .what I'm trying to say is you have every right to be scared and upset right now. After spending fifteen years with a man, you can love him regardless if you're married to him or not. Although your marriage is almost at an end, and this chapter is ending, a new chapter is starting, one where the two of you will navigate a friendship for the sake of your kids. Regardless of what's happening with your relationship and marriage, you still have every right to be scared of what's conspiring right now with his disappearance, okay?"

"Thanks, Momma, " Olivia sniffled, wiping her tears with the sleeve of her shirt, "we should probably go break the news to the kids before I completely lose it."

"It's okay to lose your composure, Olivia. You don't have to be strong all the time, " Ellis whispered, kissing her daughter's forehead before taking hold of her shaky hand.

Olivia squeezed her mom's hand before making her way to the bedroom door. Moving to the living room, the only thing occupying her mind was Emme's dream. Last night, she had made a promise to her little girl that no one would ever hurt her father, and now she was about to eat her own words.

"Momma, " William sighed as his mother entered the room, "they said you have something to tell us."

"I do. Can I sit with you guys?" Olivia questioned, pointing to the spot between her two sons.

"Sure, Mama, " Emme giggled as Parker tried to hold the wiggling girl in his lap.

Olivia took a deep breath and sat between her boys. This is it, she thought, this is the moment I change our family dynamic forever. Olivia stood and sat Emme down in the spot she just occupied and opted to sit on the coffee table across from her children.

"Well, what do you have to tell us?" Parker questioned, wrapping his arm around his baby sister.

Olivia swallowed the lump in her throat as her face got hot, "Kids, " Olivia sighed.