~ Chapter Twenty-Three ~

Olivia's hand twitched. Someone was touching her and she could feel their delicate fingers running over her skin. She moved her hand a little more, opening her palm up to the person's fingers.

"Olivia?" A faint voice called, but Olivia couldn't make out the voice.

She still felt so far away from whoever was touching her. It felt like she was trapped between heaven and earth. Like she hadn't fully regained all of her senses. She could feel the internal pain, however, her body ached when she'd moved her fingers and her hand.

"Olivia, " the voice called again, still muffled by the distance.

She felt the finger slip between her own and she knew she had to squeeze. The pain radiated through her arm as she lightly squeezed the finger and slipped back to sleep.

×××

Sunday, October 17, 2021:

William scribbled in a small black journal as he sat at his mother's bedside.

Hey mom, 

It's Liam here, just wanted to fill you in on everything that happened today. Emme started to dance on Friday and now all she wants to do is twirl around the house in her ballet slippers. Parker is struggling with Trevor's passing, well we all are, but he's taking it the worst. He feels like he lost out on a relationship because he was gone. I'm making sure he continues to take his medicine though and Grandma and Grandpa have upped his therapy appointments so he doesn't have an episode again. I'm doing okay, but I really miss you. It's hard having you so close yet so far from us all at the same time. The doctors and nurses say you're getting better and Uncle Fin says you squeezed his hand last night. I hope it's true because we need you. Uncle Graham and Aunt Amelia have gotten a place here in the city because they want to be here when you wake up. The neonatal-pediatric surgeon, Arizona, I think is her name--says both the babies are okay and growing fast. You just hit your twenty-five-week mark. Trevor should be here to see you, but he's not. I wish I could bring him back for you, mom. He loved you. We laid him to rest a few weeks ago, and that was hard because you didn't get to say goodbye. I hope my eulogy did us all justice. 

Until next time, Mom, love you: William.

William laid the little journal on his mother's hospital beside the table and tucked the pen into its sleeve. He'd started the journal so everyone could fill her in on the things she was missing while being in a coma. William placed a soft kiss on his mother's forehead before leaving her room.

×××

"Olivia?" Doctor Ames questioned stepping into her patient's room.

No answer, much to Doctor Ames' dismay.

"Oh Olivia, I know you want to wake up. I think it's time, " she spoke, starting her exam on Olivia's belly.

Doctor Ames' worked quietly, checking on both of the babies to make sure their heartbeats were still strong. She checked Olivia's belly seeing that bruises were finally fading around her ribs and hips from her seat belt.

Olivia coughed, trying to force the tube from her mouth. Her eyes popped open and focused on Doctor Ames'.

"Olivia, hold on just a second, " Doctor Ames smiled, rushing to the door, "I need a nurse!"

A nurse and several doctors rushed into the room and removed tubes from Olivia's throat as she coughed and gagged on them. Once everything was removed and Olivia settled back against her pillows, the group of doctors and nurses stared and took a moment to admire the small miracle in front of them. 

"Olivia, can I get you to sip on this water?" A nurse questioned bending the straw towards Olivia's mouth.

Olivia nodded and pursed the straw between her lips. The cool water slipped down her throat, causing some relief from the dryness and pain. She sipped the cup until it was gone before trying to speak.