~ Chapter Four ~

Two weeks passed, with no advances on the disappearance of Elliot Stabler. Olivia was dog tired, caring for three children with help from Lucy on top of working as many shifts as possible to stay afloat. William and Parker seemed unfazed by the disappearance of their dad. Only noticing his absence when it came to sports, whether that be playing them or watching them, that area of their father-son relationship was empty. Emme, on the other hand, took the situation much harder. The young girl had taken up a permanent residence in her mother’s bed, and every task had become a fighting match.

“Mom?” Parker questioned, approaching his sleeping mother on the couch.

“Hmm?” Olivia hummed, opening her eyes.

“Can you check my homework before you leave tonight?”

“Of course, sweet boy, come here, ” Olivia smiled, sitting up and patting the couch cushion beside her.

Parker handed his math worksheet to his mom and sat back. Olivia carefully looked over each problem, examining the neat work, and circled final answers on her son’s page. 

“It all looks right to me, Parker.” Olivia smiled, ruffling her son’s dirty blonde locks.

“Thanks, Mom, ” Parker smiled before it quickly faded, “do you think Dad will ever come home to us?”

Olivia breathed deeply, closing her eyes before pulling Parker into a hug, “You’re old enough to handle the truth. I’ll give you two choices, do you want the truth, or do you want me to sugar coat it?”

Parker squeezed his mom before pulling back, “I want the truth, mom. Do you think Dad will ever come home?”

“Parker, I don’t think your father will come home, and if he does, I don’t think he’ll be alive.”

“So I shouldn’t keep my hopes up? Every time your phone rings, I get a small feeling of hope that someones found him or they’ve found some evidence, but it’s never the case.”

“My heart jumps every time too, my sweet boy, ” Olivia sighed.

“How long will they keep the case open, ya know, before it goes cold?” Parker questioned, running his finger over his math paper.

“It has to be opened and unsolved for three years before it goes cold. We’ve got some time, but try to think realistically, okay?” Olivia spoke as her cell began vibrating on the coffee table.

‘Don Cragen’ was on the screen. Olivia sighed and looked at Parker with a small smile.

“Go finish up your homework and get washed up for dinner, please, ” Olivia ordered softly before answering the call.

Parker ran off as Olivia exhaled, “Stabler, ” she greeted, her voice weak with exhaustion.

“Hey Liv, it’s Captain Cragen. I was just calling to see what time you were planning on coming back in tonight?”

“I can be there as soon as you need me, or I’ll be in around seven, but it’s completely up to you, sir.”

“How soon can you be here? I need to speak to you in person as soon as possible.” Don spoke, trying to keep his voice steady.

“I can leave right now and be there in fifteen, ” Olivia spoke, feeling nerves bubble inside of her.

“Okay, we’ll see you in fifteen minutes then. Drive safe.”

“See you then, ” Olivia sighed, looking to Lucy as she hung up. “I just called in on a case, so I need to go. My phone will be on if you need me, call. All the ---.”