~ Chapter Seven ~

Trevor and Olivia returned to the hotel alone. They entered their separate rooms and began packing away the few belongings they’d pulled from their suitcases. Olivia felt relief, knowing she was being graced with the freedom to go home. Part of Trevor felt grateful to head home, the other half of him, not so much. He wished the stay in D.C. had been longer, for the sake of getting to know Olivia better. He wouldn’t have the guts to cross the line the did the night before in New York, and he knew she wouldn’t cross that line either for the sake of her job. Sleeping with a defense attorney certainly isn’t the way to gain the trust of victims. He understood that but knowing and accepting are two different things.

A knock sounded on Olivia’s door, pulling her from thoughts about Trevor, “hold on!”

Olivia shoved a shirt into her suitcase before getting up to answer her door. Passing by the mirror, she flattened her hair and pushed a few pieces behind her ear before answering the door. Behind the door stood Senior Special Agent Rollins, much to Olivia’s dismay.

“I was released by your boss this afternoon, ” Olivia spoke coldly, holding her ground.

“I’m aware. We do talk to each other at the FBI, despite rumors. May I come in?” Amanda questioned softly.

“You may not, ” Olivia grumbled, “why are you here?”

“I wanted to apologize for dragging you all the way out here, and I wanted to…”

“Olivia, everything okay?” Trevor questioned, poking his head through the adjoining door.

“Just harassment from the FBI, ” Olivia called back before smiling at the blonde in front of her.

“Something you need me to handle?” Trevor questioned, letting himself into her room and taking a spot behind her in the doorway.

“SSA Rollins here was just finishing up telling me why she had come by, ” Olivia nodded, “you can proceed now.”

“Just to apologize for dragging you out here. Have a safe trip back to the city, and we’ll be in touch if anything progresses in your husband’s case. Thank you for your time, ” Amanda nodded before leaving down the hall.

Olivia closed the door and turned to face Trevor, “I think you intimidate her.”

Trevor chuckled, “what makes you say that?”

“She just lied. She didn’t come here to apologize and wish us a safe trip back.”

“How do you know?” Trevor questioned, furrowing his brow.

“Before you barged in on the conversation, she was calm, and her voice was steady and even. The second you stepped up behind me, she became all business.”

“Liv, ” Trevor chuckled, “can you not see it?”

“See what?” Olivia questioned, oblivious to Trevor’s suggestive tone.

“That she clearly has the hot’s for you.”

“Trevor, ” Olivia slapped his chest, “get your mind out of the gutter.”

“It’s not in the gutter, ” Trevor sighed, “if I wanted a three-way, I know who to call.”

“Trevor!” Olivia exclaimed.

“It’s true, ” Trevor chuckled, moving to sit on Olivia’s bed, “she has the hots for you. It’s clear to anyone who opens their eyes.”

“You’re full of it, Langan.”

Trevor shook his head and pointed to Olivia’s still open suitcase, “Are you almost done packing?”

“I am, ” Olivia sighed, putting the last few items in and zipping it closed, “now I’m done, why?”