~ Chapter Eight ~

May rolled around, and life returned to some sense of normalcy for the Stabler clan. Elliot was presumed to be living it up in Ireland with his financial advisor, Siobhan, and his other Irish mistress, and all of their kids. As for Olivia, she and Trevor had been casually seeing each other since their business trip to D.C.. William and Parker were finishing up eighth grade. Which didn’t faze them much, but more than Olivia cared to admit, she was scared for their high school years. William and Parker accepted Elliot’s disappearance, or so it seemed. Emme was struggling with abandonment, which was not easy on anyone in the household, especially Olivia.

“Liv, you look like hell, ” John spoke, sipping on his mug.

“Thanks, Munch, now I know why all your wives left you, ” Olivia spoke, slumping into her desk chair.

“You okay, baby girl?” Fin questioned, placing his hands on Olivia’s shoulders.

“I’m fine, ” Olivia shrugged.

“Bullshit, ” Nick spoke, sitting across from his partner before Fin or John could tell him not to.

“Oh, yeah?” Olivia questioned with an icy stare, “and pretty boy, you know me so well because you’ve known me for how long?”

“Liv, ” John spoke softly, trying to reign her back in.

“No!” Olivia yelled, “I’m sick and tired of him stepping on my toes and acting like he fucking knows a single thing about me. You’ve been here a month, you know nothing, so butt the fuck out of my life!”

“What is going on out here?” Cragen questioned, moving from his office into the squad room.

“Baby girl’s laying into the new guy, putting him in his place, ” Fin spoke, giving Olivia a curt nod.

“Everything okay, Liv?” Cragen asked, looking over his disheveled detective.

Olivia inhaled deeply and shot Nick a look that could’ve killed, “I’m fine.”

“Okay then, ” Cragen nodded, “let’s get back to work.”

Silently everyone returned to their work. Fin and John were working a rape-homicide, and Olivia and Nick were knee-high in DD5’s. As noon rolled around, Olivia was finding it hard to keep her eyes open, which usually wasn’t an issue. 

“Baby girl, ” Fin whispered softly, passing her desk on the way to the coffee machine.

Olivia stood and met Fin at the machine, “yes?”

“No more coffee, ” Fin spoke softly, placing Olivia’s mug on the coffee bar. “Go to the cribs, and get some sleep. If we need you, I’ll come to get you, okay?”

“Are you sure?” Olivia questioned with a yawn.

“Positive, John and I have your back, so go.”

“Thank you, ” Olivia smiled softly, moving upstairs.

Fin, John, and Nick handled the early afternoon just fine without Olivia, and Fin was thankful they did. None of them knew just how much Olivia needed that nap. It was nearing three when Cragen emerged from his office with a look of confusion etched on his face.

“Where’s Olivia?” Cragen questioned, leaning down next to Fin.

“The cribs, ” Fin nodded, “she drank three mugs of black coffee this morning and still wasn’t able to keep her eyes open, so I sent her upstairs around noon.”

“I think she and I need to have a heart to heart. She needs to get some help.”

“I don’t think it’s her, Captain. I think Emme has her at her wit’s end.”