Chapter One: A New Day

~Nashi~

It's finally here. Today is my birthday and I'm turning 16 years old. After waiting and wishing for years, finally I'm going. Mama and Papa lived in Magnolia but always told me no. But it all changes today.

A knock came to my room door, making me get up and walk over. I open the door and see Lucas, my older brother. "Nashi! It's your birthday, you know what that means don't you?"

I rose a brow confused. I truly didn't. "What does it mean?" He raised a fist and hit my shoulder, making pain shoot down my arm. I gasped out and grabbed it.

"Oww!" I glared at him.

"What was that for!?"

"Birthday licks! You know, I hit you 16 times over? That was only 1. 15 more to go." He raised both his fists this time and I ran around him and down the house stairs, feeling him punch my side as I ran.

"That's 2!" Luke exclaimed.

"Stop it Luke!" I said at the bottom of the stairs. He just laughed as he ran after me. My eyes widened and I ran.

"Mamaaa! Luke's trying to hit me!" I cried, closing my eyes, accidentally running straight into my mother, Lucy Dragneel.

I hid behind her, watching Lucas round the corner into the kitchen. With a small laugh, I watched the amusement dry from his face. "Lucas. What have I told you about trying to hurt your sister?" He gulped, and held his hands together. She was glaring at him, I could tell.

"Not to do it." Luke answered sheepishly. "That's right, now stop, both of you, before you miss breakfast." Mom said.

"Ha ha!" I laughed, sticking out my tongue and pointing at him teasingly. "As for you, Nashi, go wake up your father." It was Luke's turn to laugh.

Dad was the hardest ever to wake up, and I always did it. "What?! No fair, I woke him yesterday!" I yelled and she turned to me, an evil glint in her eyes. I gulped.

"Oh? Then I guess you won't have problem, since you know what to do, right?" I shuddered.

Then, I cross my arms. "Right." I muttered in annoyance.

She gives me a deadly look and I turn and rushed up the stairs to Mama and Papa's room. Busting in, I see him and Uncle Happy in bed. Jumping up I grin. My fist was set ablaze, and I aimed for Papa's face.

It got inches close before he caught it. I saw a lazy grin spread across his features, and he opened his eyes. "With a flame like that, you won't do much damage." He laughed then he sat up. "But don't worry, one day, you'll be better than me." Papa said matter-a-factly.

"Really?!"

I asked, jumping onto the bed, waking up Uncle Happy in the process. "Definitely. I'm getting to old."

He ruffles my hair. "Yes!" I screamed, and Papa laughed.

"Happy Birthday baby." He smiles gently. I smile wider. "Let's go eat!"

"Okay!" I cheer and we walked downstairs with Uncle Happy flying next to us. "Mama! Old Man is up!" I called and Mama laughed. Papa bumped her with his foot.

"Luce, that's not old! I can still beat up some thugs."

He punched the air as Mama kissed my head. "Your breakfast is in the kitchen, Birthday Girl. Your favorite." My eyes lit up and I ran towards the table sliding into the seat. Food covered the table and the aroma was irresistible.

"Yes!" I laughed, sitting down and digging into the oatmeal first. I ate it in seconds then moved on to the rest of my plate. "Woah! Slow down, Flame Brain! You'll get sick."

"Pansy!" I snapped back, making Lucas glare with a smirk.

"Oh it's on."

And that's how Luke and I found ourselves outside, puking up our breakfast.

After a 30 minute scolding from Mama, I went to get dressed for Papa and I's morning training. I pulled on my black leggings enthusiastically and pulled on my white short-sleeve shirt on. I ran down the stairs, and slipped on my shoes. I braided my hair out of my face.

Mama was sitting in the living room with a book. "Your dad's outside waiting for you. Don't get too rowdy."

"Okay!"

I ran outside to the front lawn where Papa was waiting, arms crossed a smile on his face. "You ready?" He asked, and I nodded. First we warm up, a couple stretches and laps around the house. Then I get into my fighting stance. In the next second, Papa charged with his fist raised. Luckily, I blocked with my arm just as he taught me.

I jumped up, using my knee to hit his chin, making him stumble back. I slammed my foot into his arm which was raised to block and jumped back. He laughed. "Not bad. Do you want to use magic?"

"Nah."

"Great." This time, I charged, palm raised. Mom taught me this move with Capricorn. I jammed my palm into his gut and I could hear the gasp for air. But then, he raised his hands and held them together and hit my back making me fall to the ground, breaking it.

I groaned, getting up. I was okay though. After shaking it off, I ran up on Papa again doing a roundhouse to his left side, which was unguarded, and when he tried to block another kick, I switched to a punch at the last second and got a hit in the face, sending him flying. He skidded across the ground landing in a crouch.

He smirked, wiping blood off his lip. I saw Mama come out to watch. "Please be careful you two."

"Okay!" We both yelled, and I stood taller. "Can we use magic now?" I asked eagerly.

"You're the birthday girl. Course we can."

I smiled and run forward I jump up and raise my foot. It lit on fire, and I bellowed loudly. "Fire Dragon Brilliant Spark!" My own move. Papa's arms that were raised to meet the attack, hit my foot making the ground break and make a huge crater. Some debris rose, and I used all my strength to push down further. Dad pushed up his arms, making me fall back. I landed on my butt, giving Dad an opening.

He rushed forward, fist raised. He punched but I dodged just in time to grab his arm, and flip him over and jump on him. My fingertips were at his throat, a flame in my other hand. "Why not just give up ?" I asked and he laughed. Raising a brow I shifted. Papa suddenly pushed forward making me scream and fall back. I stood again but he was too fast.

He landed a blow at my gut making me stumble to the floor. "Ugh." I groaned miserably, and Papa reached down to help me up. I took his hand, and Mama came over yelling at Papa.

"Don't do that Natsu! That'll upset her stomach."

"It's okay Mama. I'm fine, even though it was a dirty trick." I responded.

"Was not!"

"Was too!" I shouted, sticking out my tongue. I heard Lucas chuckle.

"Come on. We have a birthday to celebrate don't we?"

[That Evening]

"Good night Mama and Papa!" I yelled and closed my door, getting in bed after a nice shower and changing into pajamas.

I sighed and closed my eyes.

Twenty minutes later, I peek open an eye. I get up and peer out into the dark hall. It was empty. Sneaking out my room, I looked in my parents' room to see them asleep. I quickly changed into the outfit I picked out this morning.

I smoothed down my black dress before slipping into the soft pink sweater half shirt. I brushed my hair before putting it into a ponytail and pulling up my tights on my legs. I leaned down and slid on my sandals before looking at myself in the mirror. Something was missing.

I secured my white dragon scaled scarf in place around my neck, smiling down at it. Papa said that his dragon father, Igneel was the one who gave it to him. Lucas was named after him.

I glanced at the small room once again before looking at the city lights. I sighed deeply jumping from my window and running off towards Magnolia.