CHAPTER THIRTY SIX

It was Christmas Eve and the Xanthos household was embellished with a tinsel of 1980s bling.

Eartha Kitt's Santa Baby boomed through the small space, overpowered only by Ray's off-pitch interpretation. He'd outdone himself that year, decorating every corner of the house with over-the-top ornaments to preserve the holiday spirit during such a turbulent time. His child-like excitement was not brought on by Christmas alone, but because it was the first time in months that his family was together.

And it would not be Christmas Eve if Romeo hadn't entered the house, shivering, with an armful of white envelopes carrying Christmas greetings.

„Fourty two of them," he announced, delivering them dutifully, his face a picture brighter than any card.

„Fourty two," echoed Ray in amazement, „My, I don't know how I'll fit all of them on my desk."

Leaving the box of ornaments behind, Ray proceeded to read through each card, peering over his glasses. The colorful pieces of cardboard were only a formality by which everyone could express their best wishes to the kind doctor, whom they loved and respected immensely.

Raymond Xanthos was the only doctor in the village of Barewick. Located just outside of London, the village was so little and irrelevant only its inhabitants knew that it had a name. He made it a point to establish his office right beside his home, so he'd always be available no matter what time of day or night it was.

„Such lovely people," he commented absentmindedly, smiling as he read.

Pocketing one of the white envelopes, Romeo wandered off to reach for another box, sorting through the ornaments he liked. The sly move didn't go unnoticed by his observant sister who decided to save her inquiry for later, far from the curious ears of their parents.

Once he'd read through all of the heartfelt cards, Ray wiped the corners of his teary eyes. „Romeo, would you grab that box? You must help me decorate this, we're not even halfway done!"

Romeo stuffed the crumpled envelope further down his jean pocket and picked up the large box, avoiding Ramona's all-seeing eyes.

"Dad, are you sure we have enough ornaments? This tree is... Is that a squirrel?!"

When Ray announced he'd bought the tree prior to the kids coming home, Ramona wasn't aware just how large the tree was going to be. It dominated the entire living room, massive branches hiding Romeo entirely from view as he wrapped the flickering, colorful lights around it. The boy was certain there was wildlife inside the tree, through his father loudly assured him otherwise. Packets of tinsel lied unopened on the carpeted floor, announcing the grandiosity of Ray's intentions.

„Oh yes!" Otis Redding's Merry Christmas Baby compelled Ray's limbs to move with the rhythm. He was trying his very best to brighten the mood, since neither Regina nor Ramona were too keen on celebrating. The tension between the two women could be cut with a knife and both men of the house pretended not to notice. Even though such a joyous, heartwarming sight filled Ramona's heart with a kind of peace she though impossible during such a time, it didn't show on her face. She was too preoccupied with the unspoken worries of her mother.

She sat on the floor, back against the couch and lips shut in a tight line. Her mother's skillful fingers weaved through her thick hair, braiding it patiently and with the utmost concentration. The agonizing amount of time she had to endure at her mother's mercy reminded her of why she hadn't worn her hair in cornrows for years.

"Keep still," hissed Regina, attempting to braid the last of her daughter's hair.

"Are you done?" Ramona whispered out, afraid her mother would lose it if asked the very same question for the fifteenth time. Regina opted not to answer, biting her tongue and sighing deeply, afraid she'd cuss her out for the impatience.