CHAPTER EIGHT

Ramona couldn't sleep for the past four nights.

Although she wanted to blame it on the anxiety that came with being in a new place, it was impossible to ignore that the very root of her sleeplessness came from Draco's reaction. Not once did she imagine such a scenario playing out and in the back of her mind rested a notion that no good could come from this.

She never thought she'd see him again. For years she believed that he'd forever be just a piece of her past life, erased for all eternity. For years she believed that she'd eventually forget about him; forget until he became a faded image in her brain, until she couldn't remember the shade of blue in his eyes, until she could no longer picture just how white his hair was or how obnoxious his sneer could be. She imagined forgetting him many times in her life, but she never could. When she was at her loneliest, she'd remember her first friend and how they understood each other's lives like no one else could.

The burden that came with their family names. The weight of a childhood being taken away.

She had escaped that life when her father died. But in losing the man that tore away her childhood, she lost the only person she considered a friend. But Draco- he was still stuck in his life without an escape route, without so much as a choice to leave the train tracks set out before him.

Ramona was certain that she would never see Draco again, thus she never thought about the what if of seeing him. She imagined it, of course, but it was never like this. He was never like this.

She didn't like that they were strangers.

She didn't like how bitter he became.

She didn't like the seemingly habitual air of arrogance around him.

She knew that they wiped his memories of her, but she never really wanted to believe it. Never wanted to believe that she'd stand before him just like any other person, when to her he was anything but.

"You are quiet," Luna noticed one evening during dinner. Ramona liked sitting at the Ravenclaw table with her. As much as she liked talking to Daphne sometimes, Pansy always seemed to join in pry into her personal business. And sharing a dormitory with her was no easier.

Luna was unlike anyone Ramona had ever met. She was an incredibly observant person, but her most outstanding feature was kindness. Luna shone with kindness. The day before, Ramona had introduced her to Romeo. And boy did the two of them become fast friends. Luna made her feel at ease and took her mind off her worries.

"I just have stuff on my mind, I'm sorry," Ramona said, picking at the food on her plate.

Luna extended her hand and placed it atop Ramona's, smiling warmly at her.

"I know. We don't have to talk about it, but you know that I'll listen if you need me to," Luna offered.

"Thank you Luna, truly."

"Don't be silly, that's what friends are for. Besides, I think I can read you pretty well. I don't know what it is that you're so worried about, but things have a way of working out in the end."

Luna's voice was therapeutic. She could improve someone's mood in an instant. And she knew exactly how to do that.

After dinner, Luna took Ramona for a brief walk on the castle grounds. She linked their hands like she always did and almost floated as she walked. Luna was much shorter than Ramona- she was only 5'2. Ramona found their height difference hilarious.

"How was Durmstrang? Did you like it better than here?"

"I don't know, really. It was different, that's for sure. I missed it when I first came here. But I think I'm getting used to Hogwarts, it's growing on me. My brother is here too and it feels nice to see him often. Plus, it's great having some female friends for a change," Ramona explained.