CHAPTER TWO

Not one person in the Great Hall was content with waiting on dinner, though a great many were rather intrigued by the new student who'd broken someone's nose even before the sorting ceremony. And because that broken nose was attached to Gregory Goyle, the story spread like wildfire- for very few people, as surprising as that seemed, liked Gregory Goyle. And that very few sat at the Slytherin table, not entirely interested in the newcomer. Some students, however, were so pleased by the fact he finally got what was coming to him that Ramona became sort of a celebrity in the span of that one dinner.

"I bet she's a Gryffindor."

"A Slytherin for sure, mate."

"If she gets sorted into Hufflepuff we're going to be best friends."

"You don't really think she's a Hufflepuff, do you?"

"Don't be dumb, she definitely is no Hufflepuff!"

"Sodding Goyle got punched by a girl!!"

The demanding presence of headmaster Albus Dumbledore sparked Ramona's fancy while she waited for her sorting ceremony to start. She'd heard many stories of the man; and on the train to Hogwarts, it was his card that she found inside a chocolate frog. After he called for silence, the chatter stopped, the large room falling completely silent except a whisper or two.

"I assume some of you are not content with waiting on dinner, but I would like to think that this short delay will not be too much of an imposition," the man spoke, booming voice echoing around the Great Hall. Ramona felt herself shrink as more and more eyes found her, standing on the side, waiting for all of it to be over.

"As you all know, it is not often that we have student transfers. Though this student is an rather exceptional witch that Hogwarts is honored to have as one of our own. Before the sorting ceremony begins, I would kindly ask all of you to give a warm welcome to Ramona Xanthos."

Ramona hated the attention. Everyone's eyes on her were rather unsettling. Even though Dumbledore's intentions were pure and kind, she hoped that the entire ordeal would pass without much fuss. but she'd created the fuss herself before that even began- so there was little room to complain. Looking a little pained and discombobulated by the prying eyes dissecting her, Ramona opted to focus her gaze on the kind eyes of the headmaster, rather than to the curious ones of the entire student body of Hogwarts. Dumbledore ushered her onto the chair as McGonogall placed the Sorting Hat onto her head, a content smile on her lips as she did so. 

Ramona tried not to look out to the sea of students looking at her, but scanned the crowd in search of her brother, the yellow of the Hufflepuff table not easy to miss. But the comments of the Sorting Hat gave her little time to do so.

"Ooh, I see! A great wizarding family, I see... Clever, you are. Very clever. A very kind heart. I see... I see... You can be great. It would be a shame if it would be anything other than...

SLYTHERIN!"

With a weight taken off her chest, Ramona stood up from the chair, a cacophony of applause and cheers coming from the Slytherin table. Dumbledore offered her a warm smile and ushered her towards her house's table, gaze lingering on her for just a moment long enough for it to be indicative of one thing- he expected Slytherin. She felt a weight taken off her chest when the headmaster started to speak again and the attention was no longer on her.

Rapidly, she searched the Hufflepuff table for a small head with a large afro, and there he was- looking at her with wide eyes full of concern. Ramona hid her nervousness well and winked at her little brother, who smiled with a toothy grin in response, giving her a thumbs up.It was easy to note his unease with the fact that she was sorted into Slytherin, but Ramona expected a much.