CHAPTER FOUR

Ramona was walking towards the Hufflepuff common room when she heard silent footsteps from behind her. She pretended not to notice, knowing exactly who it was, and slowed her walk.

She bent down to tie her shoe when she was tackled to the floor, two small hands wrapping around her.

"Attack!" Romeo shouted, knocking his sister over in a fit of giggles.

"Oh Merlin, I've been struck!" Ramona yelled out, laying on the floor with her brother on her back.

"You better be careful Mona, someone could sneak up on you who isn't me," Romeo said, standing up, dusting off, and offering his sister a hand.

"How kind of you, Romy," she said, grabbing his hand. "You strike me down and then give me a hand, what a gentleman."

"You know I'd always go down with you," he joked, poking her in the stomach.

Ramona hugged her little brother, smothering him with kisses.

"How are you? What's new?"

"You only saw me this morning, Mona. Nothing is new," he rolled his eyes. She kneeled on one knee to be eye-level with him, taking his hands in hers.

"Yes, well, I want to know everything," she said.

"But you don't tell me nothing," Romeo complained. "I don't really think you have any friends."

"I do have plenty of friends," Ramona said.

"I don't think you do Mona, and that's fine. You don't have to be embarrassed about it. If you want, I can find you a friend."

"That's alright, Romy. I'm good."

He smiled at her. Romeo was a sweet boy. She'd never known anyone sweeter. He was beyond kind, and she'd never seen him even pout about something. Romeo was, and she was sure of it, the kindest soul she would ever know.

He took after his father for it. Ramona's step father, and Romeo's father, was more of a father to her than her own. Ever since she was five, she trusted him more than anyone. When Romeo was born, Ramona never felt less loved than her brother. They were equal in the eyes of their father, even though she wasn't his biologically.

"You don't like your new school Mona, do you?" Romeo asked, playing with his sister's hands. His kind eyes observed her face.

"I'm still getting used to it," Ramona said.

"I know that you are here to look out for me. Mum worries a lot, she thinks I don't know. I know dad is worried too. I know a lot more than they think, you know?"

"I know, Romy. But I don't want you worrying about anything while I'm here, okay?" Ramona assured him.

He nodded, but she knew that her observant brother was not going to let anything slide.

"I won't worry when I see you having friends. It's sad to see you eating alone, Mona."

"Yeah, thanks," she rolled her eyes.

"No, truly, you look like a sad little squirrel with your cheeks- "

"Okay, Romeo, that's enough."

"Or a whale. You know, whales are the loneliest animals in the world. Oh, and I read about giants, they live in this isolated place- "

"So, which am I? A squirrel, a whale or a giant?" Ramona questioned, narrowing her eyes.

"Well when you look at me like that you might as well be my boggart," Romeo joked, ruffling his sister's hair.

"Alright, smart boy. Do you have somewhere to be or can we hang out?"

"I actually do, thank you for asking. I've arranged for a study session with friends. You may join us if you wish, or maybe find some of your own."

"I'll be on my merry way then, thank you," Mona said, standing up and crossing her arms.

"I'll see you at dinner, Mona," Romeo said, giving her a hug and waving as he walked away.

What eleven-year-old talks like an old man, Ramona thought. She was smiling to herself when she almost bumped into someone, rounding the corner.

"Sorry," she mumbled, looking up.

"Watch where you're going," Draco replied, scowling at her. She seemed glued to the ground, staring at his pale eyes.

"Are you going to move?" Draco asked. She still stared at him. He only huffed and walked around her, mumbling something to himself. Ramona stared at him after he left. It was strange seeing him up close like that. She thought of him over the years, but in her head she couldn't picture what he looked like now. Seeing him in person felt odd.

She wanted to reach out to him, to restore his memories and thank him for saving her from her own personal hell. Had it not been for Draco Malfoy, she didn't know what her life would have looked like. Narcissa explained to her once why they had to obliviate him. Why she had to disappear from his life and his mind.

But it just didn't feel right, knowing she owed so much to him. Watching him walk away, he was so distant- but so familiar.

That same day in class, Flitwick was assigning partners for a paper. Ramona sat by a Ravenclaw girl who didn't try to spark up a conversation, for which she was thankful. She hoped they'd be partners as well. Everyone could do their part without much fuss.

"Miss Xanthos, I think you'd make a great partner to Mr. Malfoy. He has actually shown up to class, I see, so I suggest you get him to do so regularly," Flitwick said, smiling at her. She felt her heart skip a beat.

Looking behind her at Draco, he wasn't amused. He barely glanced at her.

She couldn't not notice how handsome he had gotten. Even with a scowl on his face, he still looked angelic, at least to her.

Before he left the classroom, he stood by her table.

"About this assignment- "he said.

"You can decide which half you want to do," she interrupted.

"I'm not doing it," Draco said. "You can go ahead and sign my name when you are done."

"Not going to happen," Ramona replied.

"Excuse me?" Draco said, just as he was going to walk away.

"I'm not doing it for you," she said.

"Fine. Don't, then. I don't care," he shrugged.

"I don't think you get it, Malfoy," Ramona said, standing up and grabbing his wrist. He turned around, annoyed.

Draco stared down to where their hands touched. Before he ripped his hand away from hers, there was a strange feeling in his chest. He didn't mind her so close. But none the less, he ripped his hand away and scowled at her.

"You're doing your half. You not caring about this class is none of my business. You're smart, you can take an hour from your day and do your part. I'm not going to fail an assignment because you think you have better things to do," Ramona said, packing up her things.

"I do have better things to do, and being spoken to in such a manner by a blood-traitor isn't one of them," he sneered.

"Not my problem. I'll be in the common room after dinner, be there," she demanded, looking him up and down. Even though she was intimidating, he was too. But she knew him. She knew him, and she kept repeating to herself that she did.

"I'm not- "

"You are, Draco. Stop being a little bitch about it," she said, walking away.

Draco stared after the girl. Never in a million years would he let someone talk to him like that. But there was something about her- she seemed familiar to him, though he couldn't place her anywhere. He was sure they'd never met, and yet the way she spoke to him made him feel a certain way. He knew her from somewhere, he was sure of it.

She felt familiar. She felt safe. And she made him angry.