CHAPTER SEVEN

"So you are telling me that you have friends? A group of friends?" Romeo asked, gripping his big sister's shoulders. His eyes were wide open, staring into hers without blinking.

"Yes, yes, I think I have actual friends. Why are you looking at me like that? Knock it off," Ramona said, prying his hands away from her shoulders. She tried to stand up but he pushed her back down on the steps, not quitting the creepy staring.

"I am trying to make sure you are telling the truth," he whispered, observing her.

"I am," Ramona rolled her eyes.

"You don't have to lie for my sake, Mona," Romeo added.

"I'm not lying," Ramona hissed. Romeo crossed his arms and observed his sister.

"Fine then. What are their names?" he demanded, tapping his foot.

"Luna, Neville, Ginny, Fred and George. And Daphne. I mean, Daphne isn't really a friend, more like... An acquaintance? She and I share a common room. We spoke a few times, um... I helped her with her homework?" Ramona explained.

"That doesn't sound all that convincing," Romeo concluded. "How long has this been going on?"

"I met Luna a week ago. And the rest of them too. I met quite a few people, but I've been having meals with Luna for the past week."

"I'm happy for you, Mona," Romeo said, finally sitting down on the step beside her. "Now I don't have to worry so much."

"You don't have to worry about me, Romy. I'm all good on my own, you know."

"Yeah. But I still do. It's nice to have people around," he said, adjusting his tie.

He continued to tell Ramona about everything he learned. He was fascinated by everything, and Ramona couldn't get tired of listening to him. She let him ramble without interrupting him.

"You'd like Luna, you know," she told him after a while. "You both really know a lot about magical creatures. I think she could teach you a lot."

"If you like her, I know I will," Romeo concluded.

The two of them were deep in conversation when suddenly Romeo grew quiet, adjusting in his seat and fumbling with his hair.

Ramona ignored it, continuing with their conversation, but Romeo wasn't listening.

"Are you paying attention?" she asked, snapping her fingers in front of his face.

She followed his line of vision. A group of boys stood not far from them, talking and laughing. They were first years and one of the boys turned to wave at Romeo.

Ramona had never seen him so flushed.

"Who's that?" she asked, a sly smirk making its way onto her face.

"No one," Romeo squeaked, patting down his afro and adjusting his robes once more.

"Doesn't look like no one to me," Ramona teased, eyeing the Slytherin boy she'd seen around their common room.

"You like him," she whispered. Romeo slapped a hand onto her mouth faster than the speed of light, putting a finger to his lips and shushing her.

"No I don't, now shut up," he muttered, turning away from her. "I have to go."

"Romy, you can tell me," Ramona called after him. He turned around, frowning.

"Don't start, Mona," he said quietly, walking away. He stopped in his tracks, turning back around and walking speedily to her.