CHAPTER THIRTY

A young girl's head crept into the common room first, wide eyes scanning intently for any sign of the person she was looking for. The room was silent, just as it was every weekday afternoon, since most people had classes for at least another hour and a half. Though the one she was looking for, and she was certain of this, had finished with her last class more than an hour ago.

And she was nowhere to be found.

By the window stood two third years, by the table sat a fifth year, each deeply engrossed in matters of their own, too busy to notice the impostor. Someone's cat stopped by to glance at the girl, looking her up and down, before continuing her strut. The girl squinted at a figure laying on the couch, crossing her fingers in silent prayer that it was who she was looking for.

But to her disappointment, on it lay Blaise Zabini, arm resting over his eyes.

As the girl approached him, soft snores could be heard. He was sprawled out carelessly on the dark sofa, looking rather uncomfortable. She loomed over him like a ghost, pondering waking him up. And just as she was about to, she noticed a stack of books on the table next to him- books that surely didn't belong to Zabini, if she were to judge by the numerous bookmarks and messily scribbled notes poking out from between each page. She knew exactly who those books belonged to.

And thus she opted to wait, leaning on the back of the couch Blaise slept on, until her target finally descended the stairs of the girls dormitory.

Ramona Xanthos was in no hurry to get back to her books. Holding a leaflet about apparition lessons from the Ministry of Magic and biting into an apple, she wasn't in the least bit interested in her surroundings.

If the girl hadn't been aimlessly wandering around the castle, hopelessly trying to find her, she might have approached Ramona quite differently. She might have told her calmly where she needed her to go, might have even introduced herself first. But since her feet were aching and she was beyond irritated, finally seeing the curly haired witch brought along a sense of rage.

"There you are!" The girl exclaimed, tapping her foot against the floor. Ramona's head snapped up. The apple she had bitten into was still between her teeth.

Instinctively, both girls looked at Blaise too see if the sound had startled him. But weather it was true exhaustion or sheer will to remain asleep didn't matter, for Blaise Zabini was unbothered. He had barely lived through that entire day, gleefully thinking of a near future in which he could sleep soundly. He was so deep in his slumber that if the two started tap dancing around him, he would not budge.

"Mhmm," mumbled Ramona finally, biting off a piece of the apple. The sound made the girl flinch and she crossed her arms over her chest, attempting to look casual as Ramona stared her down.

"And you are?" asked Ramona, utterly confused, leaning her hand on her hip. She chewed slowly and loudly, looking the girl up and down, confused entirely by who she was talking to.

Perhaps it was not her intention, but Ramona came off incredibly intimidating. It was not just that she was much taller than the little blonde; it was the dead, penetrating stare and blank face. The girl swallowed loudly, an uncomfortable grin stretching her lips.

But knowing that the person who sent her was just as frightening as Ramona, if not more, only urged her to continue with her mission.

"I'm the one who's been looking for you for an hour," the girl said, voice louder than she intended it to be. But she was dead set on keeping Ramona from seeing how uncomfortable she made her.