CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Walking back into the common room was not something that Ramona was looking forward to. Had it been nicer outside, she was sure she would have stayed much longer. Though she was, after all, a human who could not withstand the bitter cold for too long.

Her entrance back into the castle was as unnoticed as she hoped it would be, given that there was not a single person around who paid any attention to her. Only when she felt the warmth of the castle did she realize how cold it actually was outdoors. It was one of the first very cold days ever since she had come. 

Hopes of staying out of everyone's line of sight, however, soon dimmed as she spotted Luna walking down the hallway with a group of her peers. Ramona hoped Luna would not spot her, but the possibility of it happening was much to slim for Ramona to consider it.

It wasn't that she didn't want to be with Luna, specifically; she didn't want to be around anyone at that moment. She was still trying to process her friend's unjust death and the prominent prejudices of her peers. The events at the astronomy tower earlier that day were gnawing at the back of her mind, as well.

"Ramona," Luna greeted cheerfully. "My, you look positively frozen."

"Hi," Ramona muttered, teeth chattering slightly.

Catching sight of Luna's company, Ramona felt estranged. There was no sight of the tall twin boys she grew accustomed to, nor did she see Neville who she hadn't spoken to in a while, but a rather tall ginger boy who she knew as their brother. Beside him was none other than the Chosen one himself, and the brightest witch of their year- who eyed Ramona up and down in such a way that made Ramona feel smaller. She was sure, however, that there was no malice in her gaze; Ramona would probably eye someone in such a way herself, had the person looked as disheveled as she did in that moment.

"I've wanted to introduce you to them for some time, but the time was never right it seems," Luna said, continuing to introduce each of her friends to a freezing Ramona, who could only nod and wave.

"Pleasant weather, eh?" Ron offered, sending her a small smile.

"Just w-wonderful," Ramona replied, trying to contain her teeth from chattering even more.

"Ramona is a brilliant witch, you must get to know each other," Luna beamed, joyfully wrapping her hand around Harry's arm and all but jumping from joy.

"You have something in your hair," Hermione said reluctantly, taking a step towards her. "May I?"

Ramona only nodded, lowering her head so Hermione could retrieve a couple of small leaves tangled in her bun. Ramona thanked her, receiving a small smile in return. She hoped that her placement in Slytherin would evoke no further estrangement from her fellow students, but by the way Harry was just standing off to the side she didn't feel very welcome to the group.

"It was lovely to meet you," Ramona said, finally getting a hold of herself. She felt much warmer by each moment.

"Don't you want to come along with us?" Luna asked.

"I don't want to intrude," Ramona said sincerely.

"She probably has better things to do anyway," Harry added, "than hang around with us." Ramona didn't take it to heart. She knew that Slytherins and Gryffindors were not the most compatible of houses. And that was saying it lightly. If anything, breaking someone's nose on your first day- even if that someone is as unlikable as Goyle- does not exactly give a good reputation.

Ron sent him a slight questioning glance, most likely sensing the distaste Harry had for Slytheirns, though Hermione didn't look away from Ramona. The staring was starting to make her feel a bit uncomfortable, really.