CHAPTER TWELVE

Even though she wasn't exactly planning to leave her dormitory that day, Ramona's hungry stomach made it impossible to skip breakfast. She pressed a hand to her abdomen as she sat down, barely noticing anything around her as she reached out for the food.

So concentrated on her plate, she barely saw Blaise sit down next to her rather awkwardly. He had cleared his throat twice when she noticed him, mouth full of sandwich.

"Yeah?" she mumbled.

"Please don't talk with your mouth full," Blaise commented, scrunching his face up. Ramona shot him an annoyed look, not entirely in the mood to converse with him.

"I just wanted to apologize for his morning," Blaise said. "I realize now that I've only made it worse. In fact, Malfoy made it very clear just how much worse my panicking made it for you. And I promise that if it ever happens again, I'll be sure to do the right thing."

Blaise wasn't looking at Ramona as he spoke. He fiddled with his hands in his lap, barely lifting his head up, much like a child being scolded by his mother. It was obvious to Ramona how bad Blaise felt because of what had happened. She couldn't blame him for not knowing how to react.

She waited to swallow before speaking.

"Don't worry about it," Ramona said, clasping her hand over his shoulder.

"I hate that I've made it worse for you," Blaise said quietly, checking to see if anyone at the table was listening, but there was barely anyone in the great hall at that point in the morning. Most of the people usually slept in on Sundays.

"I don't blame your for freaking out, alright?" Ramona said.

"Look at me, Blaise."

Looking up at her with a sorry expression on his face, Blaise seemed very uncomfortable. Ramona truly couldn't blame him for what had happened.

"I appreciate your apology. But if you don't let me finish my breakfast, then we'll have a problem," she said, motioning to her half-eaten sandwich. Blaise smiled, if such a weak grimace could be called a smile, and motioned for her to continue.

He had just begun to eat himself when a third presence joined them, one with a bright yellow sweater and much too loud for the morning.

"Mona," Romeo said, sitting opposite his sister with a large smile on his face. The few people at the Slytherin table eyed him and Ramona was readying herself to snap at them if they so much made a grimace at him.

"Romy," she greeted back, though less enthusiastically than her brother.

Blaise and Romeo exchanged a quiet greeting. Romeo did not know that Blaise was his cousin- but rather a kind boy who he chatted with once or twice. If Romeo had really known that Blaise was far from conversational with everyone else, he would have understood the strange glances his housemates were giving him.

Blaise had instantly taken a liking to the boy. He hadn't not seen him once before he came to Hogwarts. Rare were the ones who could resist the boy and his positive energy and Blaise found his cousin's company rather pleasant- even though he was an eleven year old Hufflepuff.

"We got letters," Romeo beamed, handing Ramona an envelope with familiar writing. She saved it in her pocket, leaving her step-father's words for when she was alone.

"I want to know what yours says," Romeo announced, taking a sandwich from the plate before him.

Pansy, who had just sat a couple of places away from Ramona and her company, was eyeing the boy. She was looking from him to Ramona to Blaise, not even trying to be subtle.