Chapter 23

Everyone was standing around and picking up bodies. The group of cadets that died or got eaten were about 5 or 6. You saw the bodies, or pieces of the bodies being placed into the wagons and soldiers mourning their deaths. You got off Levi's horse and rushed to the wagon. Lewis and 2 other injured soldiers laid there. You quickly got your med kit out and patched up the two soldiers, since they had minor injuries. Then, you went to Lewis and he had a blank expression on his face. So did all the other cadets, all their hope and excitement was gone. This was expected, nobody knew how terrifying outside the walls were, until you actually see it. You patched up his head and some cuts and then you touched his shoulder as he sat in the wagon.

"Hey, I'm sorry about your friend, he was a brave one"

"I couldn't save him"

"We can't always save everyone, even if we want to"

"I know but, I feel guilty, why did I have to survive"

"No, don't say that. You survived so you could live for him, you could remember him, and avenge him. Survivor's guilt; that's a common feeling we all go through. But, you have to realize that you since you got a second chance at life, make use of it and live for your fallen friends"

Lewis widened his eyes and then let out tears. His friend got eaten whole, meaning there was nothing to take back. You sat there in the wagon with the injured boys and sighed. Erwin spoke.

"We have lost 5 brave soldiers, but y/n here, saved 3 of them. I would say this was a pretty successful trip seeing as we usually lose way more. I am proud of you all and your strength, bravery and determination. Let's all keep fighting to give the deaths of our fellows meaning! RETREAT!"

Everyone got on their horses and started galloping back. Hopefully there would be no more casualties on the way back. As you all headed back, your eyes automatically looked for Levi, since you didn't see him after you got off his horse. You looked around and couldn't see him, then Lewis spoke.

"He's in the front, with Erwin"

You looked down and sightly blushed, how did Lewis know you were looking for him?

"Oh uh thanks"

Lewis smirked. You looked at him and gave him a death glare. he suddenly looked intimidated and turned away. you smiled.

You realized you guys were at the back, behind everyone else. Meaning you'd probably have a higher chance of having to fight if titans appeared. Just when you thought that, two titans started running behind your wagon. You made the wagon horse go faster, but the wagon was heavy. It would take too long to call someone else to kill it, so you looked at Lewis and the other two soldiers.

"I'm going to finish them off, you make sure to get far as possible in this wagon, I'll be back"

Lewis nodded, and you shot your hooks into a nearby tree. You positioned yourself to be able to sliced the nape, but when you sliced the nape, the titan bit a part of your calf. You sliced his jaw and fell out from his mouth. The other titan was still there and you panicked. You were on the ground and felt weak.

Then, you saw Levi rush to the titan and was about to shoot his hooks onto it, but then his gear didn't work. He was frustrated and kept trying. You quickly took off yours and passed it on the ground near him. Before he could see your gear, a titan brought its mouth close to him and put its mouth on Levi's thigh almost biting it off. Without thinking you ran and jumped on the titan's nape and sliced it, without any gear. The titan's hold on Levi let go, and he collapsed to the ground. Holding your leg, you put on your gear again and picked up Levi with all your strength. You used the trees and shot your hooks. you were in extreme pain and holding on to Levi who had a way bigger bite on him than you did. You took a deep breath and then you saw Lewis and Mike with horses coming towards you. Mike ran over and picked up Levi from you and Lewis helped you on a horse. You requested Levi to be on your horse so you could watch over him. You put Levi behind you and put his arms around you so he doesn't fall. Lewis turned to you.

"Are you sure you can ride the horse"

"Yea, I'll be fine, but he's losing blood really fast"

Lewis looked at Levi who was barely awake and was behind you. You patched up his leg temporarily and all four of you started heading to the walls. Mike brought his horse beside you.

"y/n, are you okay"

"My calf was bit, but I'll be fine, Levi needs the aid right now we need to get back as soon as possible"

"Yea, your leg is bleeding pretty bad, but Levi's turning pale"

You turned your head to look at Levi over your shoulder.

"Please stay awake, do not close your eyes"

You almost let out a tear but wiped it. you needed to get back fast.

You all were inside the walls now, and you hid Levi, for some reason you didn't want anyone seeing him like this, he wouldn't like it either. You knew he hated being seen injured and "weak", so you made sure he was out of public eye.

You all were at the stables now, and before anyone could ask or talk to you, you quickly followed Mike as he carried Levi into his room. He hated being in the infirmary and being treated in front of others. Mike placed him on his bed, and you got your supplies and sat beside his bed. You were about to unwrap his bloody bandage, but then you started feeling dizzy. You touched your leg and blood from your bandage leaked on the floor, Mike brought Hanji inside the room.

"Oh y/n! I'll fix up Levi, Mike take her to the infirmary"

"No, no I know a technique to save his blood loss, let me do it I'm fine"

You took off your cloak and wrapped your leg so you could treat Levi. Hanji and Mike stood there in concern. Mike spoke.

"y/n I-"

"No, guys I know I'm fine, trust me. He needs to be patched up before its too late"

Hanji and Mike heard the pain and hurt in your voice and let you do your thing. Mike left the room but Hanji stayed with you. You got bandages, stitches and some painkillers and took off Levi's bandage. The titan bit some layers of his skin, which were pretty deep. If he stayed like this maybe an hour longer, he wouldn't have made it. You took off his jacket, cloak, cravat, gear, shoes and rolled up his pant. You tried concentrating and being careful while stitching up the bite. Hanji gave you water and tried to help you, but you were putting your full attention on Levi. Levi flinched and groaned while you stitched it up, you held his leg tight so he didn't move too much. He was in extreme pain and you hated seeing him like this. You let out tears and finished stitching. You cleaned up the excess blood and bandaged the leg. You made Levi sit up, and he had his eyes closed. He opened them and looked at his leg.

"filthy"

"Levi, you'll be okay"

Levi looked at you and saw your whole body in bad condition and you looked in pain. He darted his eyes to Hanji.

"Take her to the infirmary now"

"Levi we tried"

You put your hand on Levi's forehead.

"Get well soon, please"

Levi cupped your face with his hands.

"Go with Hanji please, then I'll rest"

You gave him a weak smile and then Hanji helped you stand and dragged you to the infirmary.