𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

chapter eight | christmas break came early

───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────

        Stella loved when the common room was empty. The noisy room was now silent and the only thing Stella could hear were her own thoughts. Starting a new novel was exactly the thing her mind needed to sore and expand. However, it wasn't until she heard ragged footsteps coming from the staircase did she look up from her spot. There, she saw Harry Potter, sweaty and looking quite out of it, being held up by Ron Weasley.

"Harry," the girl breathed in concern as she leaped up from her seat, her book forgotten as she helped Ron hold the boy up, "what happened," she asked as they began walking again.

"I don't know," the Weasley muttered anxiously, "but we have to get him to McGonagall."

The three hurried to their Head of House as the woman took them straight to Dumbledore. Professor McGonagall muttered the password and immediately brought the three in, not even announcing their presence. After quickly explaining to the Headmaster that Arthur Weasley was attacked, the man dove into action, getting the rest of the Weasley's in his office before barking orders at his portraits. Through the whole thing, Stella noticed how Dumbledore never glanced in Harry's direction, which was quite odd.

Stella Mason glanced around from her spot against the wall nervously from her place next to Ginny, her arm around the younger girl. Every couple of seconds, she would look at Harry, only seeing him breathe heavily and tremble. She wasn't even sure if she was allowed to be there still. Truthfully, this event had nothing to do with her. She just came out of concern for Harry, and was willing to stay in case he needed her for anything.

Finally, Dumbledore addressed Harry directly, but still did not look at him, "in the dream, were you standing next to the victim or standing down at the scene?"

"Neither. It was like I," Harry paused his explanation, "Professor, will you please just tell me what's happening?"

Harry didn't get a response, "Everard," the Headmaster addressed a painting sharply, "Arthur's on guard duty tonight. Make sure he's found by the right people."

"Sir..."

"Phineas. You must go to your portrait at Grimmauld Place. Tell them that Arthur Weasley is gravely injured and his children and Stella Mason will be arriving there soon by Portkey."

Her name caught the girl in question attention, why would she be going with them?

"They've got him, Albus," Everand came back to inform them. The room of people sighed in relief as Stella brought Ginny pulled closer to her, "it was close, but they think he'll make it. What's more, the Dark Lord failed to acquire it."

Dumbledore breathed a heavy sigh, "oh, thank goodness. Next we need to—"

"LOOK AT ME!"

The room stilled once again as Dumbledore met Harry's eyes for the first time.

"What's happening to me?"

⋆⋅☆⋅⋆

It seemed Stella Mason was taken to Grimmauld Place at the request of her father. Why he couldn't wait until break started, she didn't know, and she wasn't going to ask. Harry was whisked away from the group with Professor Snape before they traveled back to Headquarters. Once there, her father and Sirius greeted them and let them know that Molly was at St. Mungo's as they spoke and that Arthur would be fine.

        That was a week ago.

        It had also been a week since she has seen her father. Rowland Mason acquired his daughter out of term early just to tell her that he's leaving for a while. He told her Dumbledore assigned him to a mission for the Order and didn't know when he would return, and that Stella would be in the care of the Weasley's for the time being. Stella noticed how her father didn't really seem to care about the fact that he's leaving his daughter behind in a way, but she was used to it and had been for a while. After a mere kiss on the forehead, she watched her dad apparate out of Headquarters to start his mission. She hadn't heard from him since.

        It was now Christmas and Mr. Weasley was back and seemingly a lot better. Stella was relieved to see the whole family laughing and enjoying each other's company. She had received a lovely gift from Mrs. Weasley, her very own homemade sweater that had an S on the front, and was a sage green color. It was lovely and Stella thanked the woman immensely. After dinner, she decided to look around the house. She could hear her friends come down the stairs and pass the room she was in but took no mind as she looked upon the huge family tree in front of her.

"Stella?"

The girl turned her head to see Harry Potter at the doorway. The two hadn't spoken much since they were separated in Dumbledore's office, but Stella was glad the boy was feeling better after that night.

"Hello, Harry," she greeted as she looked back at the wall.

"What are you—"

"Nasty brat, standing there as bold as brass," the two teens looked on to see Kreacher, the Black family house elf, "Harry Potter, the boy who stopped the Dark Lord. Friend of Mudbloods and blood-traitors alike. If my poor mistress only knew..."

"Kreacher," Sirius Black was heard from the hallway, "that's enough of your bile. Away with you!"

Kreacher, almost mockingly, retorted, "of course, master. Kreacher lives to serve the noble house of Black."

Once he was gone, the man addressed the teens, "sorry about that. He never was very pleasant, even when I was a boy. Not to me, anyway."

"What, you grew up here?"

        "This is my parents' house," Sirius answered, walking into the room to stand in front of the wall, "I offered it to Dumbledore as headquarters for the Order. About the only useful thing I've been able to do. This is the Black family tree," he pointed to a certain person, "my deranged cousin. I hated the lot of them. My parents with their pure-blood mania," he then pointed to a burned spot on the wall, "my mother did that after I ran away. Charming woman. I was sixteen."

"You went to my dad's house, right?"

The two others in the room looked at Stella, almost as if they forgot she was there.

She continued and looked to Sirius, "he used to tell me stories about what you used to do around his house; about how much you teased him on his crush on mum."

Sirius chuckled, "that man was completely infatuated with her, I couldn't help myself," he paused and turned to Harry, "and then I went to your dad's. I was always welcome at the Potters'. I see him so much in you, Harry. You are so very much alike."

Stella felt as though she was invading on a personal moment between the two and excused herself from the room. She caught up with Hermione and Ron and discussed Christmas presents with them. Stella just hoped that whatever Harry was going through, Sirius can help him through it.

───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────

don't be a silent reader!
edited: 6 april 2021