𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

chapter twelve | department of mysteries

───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────

The wind burned Stella Mason's eyes as she tried to keep them open on their way to London. The Threstrals moved fast and with purpose as they soared through the air. The Mason looked around to see her friends in the same predicament, some of them not even seeing the creature at all, Stella could only imagine that experience.

The group finally made their way into the Ministry without detection as it grew darker and darker outside the building. They sprinted down the halls of the Ministry and made their way to the elevators, which was a trip on its own. Coming to a stop, the group reached their destination.

"Department of Mysteries."

Once it was announced, the doors slammed open and the group of teens hesitantly filed out of the elevator. The machine left as soon as the last person came off it. They looked forward, the hall so quiet they could hear each other breathing.

Harry spoke, "this is it."

Stella held her wand tightly as she looked around, her friends doing the same. They continued to walk, now seeing shelves and shelves of orbs. They were bright when contrasted with the walls of the building. Stella gave a shaky breath as her wand gave her more light to work with when walking deeper and deeper into the hallway.

"He should be here," Harry walked through the room frantically.

"Harry," Neville called out, the boy pointed to an orb that sat on the edge of a high shelf, "it's got your name on it."

The Potter reached for the glass ball and simply stared at it, not knowing what to do, until it spoke.

THE ONE WITH THE POWER TO VANQUISH THE DARK LORD APPROACHES. AND THE DARK LORD SHALL MARK HIM AS HIS EQUAL. BUT HE SHALL HAVE THE POWER THE DARK LORD KNOWS NOT. FOR NEITHER CAN LIVE WHILE THE OTHER SURVIVES.

"Harry," Stella spoke after a few seconds, "I have a bad feeling about this."

As soon as she finished her sentence, another voice rang out, "you know, you really should learn to tell the difference between dreams," the man waved his wand to reveal his face, Lucius Malfoy, "and reality. You only saw what the Dark Lord wanted you to see. Now, hand me the prophecy."

"If you do anything to us, I'll break it."

A sickening laugh echoed through the hall, "he knows how to play! Itty, bitty baby. Potter."

The voice belonged to Bellatrix Lestrange, one of the Death Eaters that escaped from Azkaban. The woman was terrifying, and the stories about her told to Stella by her father didn't help.