𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

chapter thirty four | godric's hollow

───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────

The snow was thick on the grounds of Godric's Hollow. The three friends had apparated soon after their discussion, seeing that the girls didn't have to brew a batch of Polyjuice Potion for Harry, who simply refused at the idea. They stood, hand in hand, watching residents say their final goodnights before returning to their homes as the dark sky contrasted with street lights.

"I still think we should've used Polyjuice Potion," Hermione spoke quietly.

Harry shook his head as he gazed at the empty streets, "no. This is where I was born. I'm not returning as someone else."

They started to walk forward, further into town, Stella's hand wrapped around Harry's arm as Hermione stuck close to the pair, looking around for any person who might be stumbling along the roads ahead of them.

Stella couldn't help but notice the colored lights covering doors of shops and houses as the winter air stung her face. The snow on the ground was the kind of snow people liked in the winter time. White, almost glistening, brightening up the town even more. She noticed a fairly lit Christmas tree in the middle of town, which helped her conclusion of thinking it was December. They had been on the run for six months, but Stella felt as though it had been six years. She then heard the carol of voices inside the church by them and she knew what that meant.

"Guys, I think it's Christmas Eve," she observed softly, "listen..."

The three looked toward the church and listened to the faint voices, a moment of peace spreading through them. Stella felt her eyes well up, knowing this was the first Christmas without her dad, and she knew many more were to come in the future. Christmas was fun when her mum was around. Their tree was decorated with every little thing imaginable and presents were small but always meant the most to the Mason. A tradition Stella had missed the most was Selene Mason curling up with her daughter by the fire and reading her a story until she fell asleep. She hadn't experienced that in a long time.

"Do you think they'd be in there, Stel," Harry's whispered question took her away from her thoughts, "my mum and dad?"

The girl sniffled, bringing her hand from his arm to lace his fingers with hers instead, "yeah, I think they would."

They had eventually made their way to the graveyard that was only across the street from where they were. Stella let Harry off on his own and stuck with Hermione, who curiously made her way deeper into the cemetery. The two stumbled upon a gravestone that was bigger compared to others and noticed some engraving sticking out of the snow. Hermione used her gloved hand to wipe away the snow and furrowed her brow, looking to her friend, who did the same.