𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐰𝐨

chapter twenty two | burn, baby, burn!

───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────

It had been two days since Stella Mason broke down in Harry Potter's arms. It had also been two days since Stella had uttered a word to her father. She had nothing to say to him and he seemed to have nothing to say to her either. There was nothing she could do from her end—she was done. It's not like he provided for her anymore. He basically dropped her at the Weasley's home every break and when he was away on business and never let her know when he was coming by. The one constant way she could describe her relationship with her father was a sort of business arrangement. He occasionally pulled her aside and told her everything she needed to look out for and went on his merry way. Come to think of it, the only affection he had given her since her mother's passing was the kiss on the head he had given her before he departed for his mission. Now he has returned, more cold than ever. She just didn't understand anymore and she thinks she never will.

It was the day after Christmas and the guests that were taking their leave were her father, along with Lupin and Tonks. The couple was going back to the former's house where the two had been living not long together. It had grown dark once they all finished dinner. The kids getting ready for bed as the adults said their farewells downstairs. Rowland Mason leaving the Burrow swiftly, not bothering to say goodbye to his daughter, before taking his leave. Stella had her pajamas on, heading to her shared bedroom when she bumped into Harry on the top of the steps. Both not looking away from each other as they didn't know what to do with themselves. The two had grown incredibly close since her break down and they didn't know how to go about it, whatever it is, sometimes.

Not knowing how to start a simple conversation with the boy, the Mason blurted, "how was your conversation with Remus?"

        Harry let out a sigh and took a seat on the steps, "not well. It seems I'm the only one who's even remotely suspicious of Malfoy and Snape... and I don't know what to do."

        "Well," the girl took a seat next to him, "I think Remus is more about looking at the bigger picture. He's known Professor Snape for years and has been in Order meetings with him. Of course Professor Snape isn't the best person, but his loyalty to Dumbledore has never wavered from what I can see."

        "So what do you suppose I do?"

        "Stick to your gut. Don't let anyone's opinion, no matter who's it is, cloud how you feel. Because in the end, you can always count on yourself no matter what."

"Stella," Harry spoke after another few moments of silence between the pair.

"Yes, Harry?"

"I—"

A bright light coming from outside interrupted the boy as the two glanced outside curiously. There, in a ring of fire, was Bellatrix Lestrange, who appeared with a wickedly evil smile. Without hesitation, Harry Potter shot up from his seat and ran downstairs, ignoring Stella yelling for him. The girl didn't have time to think before running after him.

Worry and fear coursed through her veins as she passed the group of adults and ran toward the fire.

"Stella!"

"Harry, no!"

Covering her face from the fire that opened up for her, she sprinted through the fire while listening to Bellatrix taunts filled the air.

"I killed Sirius Black! I killed Sirius Black! You coming to get me?"

Stella's lungs burned as she lost sight of Harry due to the height of the grass around her. She stopped when she felt herself hit water, looking around frantically with her wand in front of her. She felt eyes on her and heard heavy breathing that she wasn't sure was her own. A rustle was heard from behind her. Stella spun around only to see nothing. She called out for Harry softly but got no response. Suddenly, Fenrir Greyback appeared from the grass with a wicked smirk on his face as Stella gulped in fright at the sight. Before either could do anything, Stella is pushed behind someone.

"Stupefy," Harry Potter yelled, holding Stella behind him. Greyback deflected the spell with ease, his smirk not faltering, before disappearing into black smoke. After surveying their surroundings, they ran out of the water and back into the clearing, their wands out in one hand, and Harry holding Stella's other hand to make sure he doesn't lose her. They could hear the shouts of Mr. Weasley and Lupin in the distance but didn't shout for them, scared to seek the attention of the Death Eaters.

Without warning, Bellatrix shot spells at the pair, then deflecting as a battle broke out. Mr. Weasley, Lupin and Tonks all crowded around the teens as the battle grew greater than before. Spells were being shot left and right from both sides of the fight. The Order and teens heaved heavy breaths as they watched the familiar black streaks hit the sky and fly right toward the Burrow. They widened their eyes as they watched the Burrow burst into flames.

"Molly," Mr. Weasley breathed, worried for his wife and kids.

The lot sprinted toward the house, thankful to see everyone safe and out of harm, to watch the house crumble from the heat.

Stella's heart felt heavy as she leaned her head on Harry's shoulder, her hand still in his, as she watched her second home disintegrate in front of her.

⋆⋅☆⋅⋆

Second term had started at Hogwarts and Stella couldn't help but feel down. The four teens staying at the Burrow, which was now under construction, had to leave for Kings Cross Station the following day of the attack. They wanted nothing more than to help rebuild and miss a couple of days of school, but the adults told them that it wasn't necessary.

The Mason was currently walking down the busy corridors of Hogwarts with Harry and Hermione, who had a copy of the Daily Prophet in hand. When Stella told Hermione about what had happened, the girl was shocked. Hermione was surprised when Stella told her about the fight Stella took part in but didn't scold her, if anything, she looked quite proud of her best friend.

"It's so easy for them to get to you," the Granger exclaimed, mostly to Harry, "you're bloody luck you weren't killed, the both of you. You have to realize who you are, Harry."

"I know who I am, Hermione, all right?"

Stella looked at Harry wearily as he snapped so suddenly. Noticing this, the boy apologized quietly.

The three walked a little farther but stopped when they saw Ron and Lavender sitting together, the blonde putting a necklace around Ron's neck before jumping into his arms.

Hermione rolled her eyes before saying, "excuse me, I have to go and vomit," and walked away.

Stella watched her friend go with a sigh, "this is gonna be a long semester, isn't it."

"Oh, yeah, most definitely."

───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────

new starry scene for your reading pleasure— don't be a silent reader!
edited: 6 april 2021