𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲

chapter twenty | christmas do

───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────

Over the next few weeks, the four friends were divided. Ron and Hermione stopped talking completely, leaving Harry and Stella in the middle. Stella, even though she knew Ron was just an oblivious idiot, sided with her best friend and distanced herself from Ron, but made sure that didn't mean distance from Harry. The two made sure to find time to hangout either alone, or with Hermione, as Harry was still talking to both of his friends.

        Something else that was coming up was Professor Slughorn's Christmas party. It was a week away, and Stella had no one to go with. Hermione had already told her who she was taking and she was surprised, to say the least. She knew in her heart she wanted Harry to ask her, but she didn't have much hope in the matter. If all else fails, she'll either go alone or not at all. After all, nothing beat a quiet night with a good book in Stella's eyes.

        The Mason was currently walking through the library with Harry and Hermione. Hermione was putting away books that she had to return while she was venting to her friends.

        "He's at perfect liberty to kiss whomever he likes," she spoke curtly, "I really couldn't care less. Was I under the impression he and I would be attending Slughorn's Christmas party together, yes. Now, given the circumstances, I've had to make other arrangements."

        "Have you?"

         "Yes," she answered Harry, "why?"

        "Well, I just thought, seeing as you can't go who you want to go and I don't have a date, I just thought we could go together, as friends."

        The Granger scoffed, "why didn't I think of that?"

        "Who are you going with?"

        Making brief eye contact with Stella, who was quietly observing the conversation, she spoke, "erm, it's a surprise. Anyway, it's you we have to worry about," Hermione moved in front of Harry, "see that girl over there," she moved her head slightly, indicating behind her, "that's Romilda Vane. Apparently she's trying to smuggle you a love potion."

        Harry's eyes perked with interest, "really?"

        Stella finally spoke, shaking her head, "Harry, she's only interested in you because she thinks you're the Chosen One."

        The boy smiled at her, "but I am the Chosen One," his response earned him a smack on the head by Hermione with her book, "ow, okay, um, kidding. I'll ask someone I like. Someone cool."

        Before she could chicken out, Stella blurted, "would you want to go with me, Harry? To the party?"

        Green met blue as the boy smiled, almost as if he was hoping she would ask him, "I'd love to, Stel."