࿐ ࿔*:・゚ let me go

"I don't say it because I'm afraid to. I'm afraid of love. I'm afraid to love. I'm afraid of being loved because some day you're gonna stop loving me and I don't want that to happen. If I say it, I don't think I can ever take it back." Natasha confesses, looking over the cliff at Vormir. 

"You've been hurt before." Steve looks at Natasha with innocent eyes, sensing the fear in her trembling voice.  

"I have and that's why I can't love Rogers. I can't." She adds, breaking his heart even further. 

"Why are you telling me all these now?" Steve half knows the answer but he wants to hear it from her as well. 

"My point is..." She pauses for a second and bites her lip in hesitation. "I love you."

Steve is surprised. "I love you too." He says back. 

She flashes a small smile at him. "Good. Because he said you must lose that which you love. So just so we're clear, we know who we're losing today right?"

"In the army, they taught us to never leave a man behind. " Steve protests, not wanting to lose Natasha

Natasha sighs. "This isn't the army. It's sorcery and madness and magic and what not. We have no choice. The fate of the world is in our hands. It has to be me. I'm the one who's gonna make the sacrifice play. Not you. Me." Natasha argues back. 

"There has to be another way." Steve looks down at the cliff and gulps. It was a long way down and as much as he didn't want to do it, he didn't want Natasha to do it either.

"There's no other way. This is it. It's our only way. Steve you have to trust me." Natasha says, taking Steve's firm, steady hand in her shaky, cold one. 

"And what? You'll sacrifice yourself for the god damn stone." Steve's voice is raised a little and Natasha can sense the anger in his voice. The last thing she wants to do right before she jumps is have an argument with him. 

"Look, I know sacrifice is kind of your thing and in the army you're all like leave no man behind. But this is different. This is my chance to make a difference, to do something about the world, to wipe out the red in my ledger. For once, let me be the hero and make the sacrifice play." Natasha pleads. 

Steve is on the verge of breaking down. "I can't let you do that nat. I love you too much to let you go."

"You saved my life on multiple occasions why should this be any different?" Natasha points out and it's Steve's turn to respond with a sigh. 

"You're not gonna come back after this." Steve whines. 

"I know. but you have to keep your promise. All those years ago, at Sam's house, you said if it was down to me to save your life you would trust me to do it. Well, this is it. Let me do it please. Let me save your life. Because damn it, I love you and I can't live without you." Natasha blurts out, the panic in her voice rising. 

Steve looks at her, tears brimming in his watery eyes. Natasha smiles and kisses him softly on the cheek. With that, she takes off for the cliff. He chases her and grabs her just before she reaches the edge. 

He pulls her in, left arm snaking around her waist and right arm around her neck. She smirks and he presses his lips against hers. Steve moans into the kiss as his hands snake up her body, tugging gently on the zipper of her catsuit. 

"Not now, not here." Natasha looks up, her eyes watering.

Steve's smile falters, the lust in his eyes evident ."Please. Just one last time."

Natasha smiles seductively for the last time as she pulls the zipper to the bottom. "Take me Captain."

...

When they're done, laying in each other's arms, Natasha starts to get dressed again.

"You can't go. We need you. I need you." Steve begs.

"No, you don't. The team needs you. They need a captain. You're their captain." Natasha takes his hands in hers and presses her forehead against his. 

"In title. But you're the one that leads them. You lead me and I lead them. You're the actual captain. I can't survive without you. Who am I meant to take orders from?" Steve looks down at her with sad, pleading eyes as he breaks down in tears.

"Rogers. Look at me. You're gonna be alright. You're gonna be just fine. I love you. And I'll always be in your heart." She smiles. 

He looks at her and smirks. He breaks away from their embrace and leaps off the cliff but she follows suit and hooks her grappling hook to the top and through him, so that he is secure and safe. She's dangling off the edge, her only grip being his hand. 

"Let me go. It's okay." She whispers

"No it's not. " He whispers back. 

"I love you." She says with a small smile.

He smiles back weakly, "I love you too."

"Good. And I'm sorry. I'll always love you Rogers. I'll be in your heart, in your dreams and forevermore." She smiles, looking up at him. He holds onto her hand for his dear life. She pushes off the cliff and he cries out. From his position on the cliff, he looks down and sees her body, sprawled on the cold hard ground, blood gushing red. 

Moments later, he finds himself in a pool of water, the glowing orange stone in hand. Natasha's life for the stone. 

With a sigh, he presses the bracelet which will bring him back. 

"Steve, where's Nat?" Bruce asks when Steve steps down from the platform. 

Steve opens his palm to reveal the stone and sinks to the ground. 

The Avengers looks among each other and suddenly realize the meaning of this. Tony takes the stone from Steve's hand and Steve sobs before running out of the Avengers Compound. 

A/N: yes this is sad im sorry. i just cant write happy. anyways there's gonna be a sequel for this one which is also sad so get ready your tissues!! thank u for reading. don't forget to vote and comment ily <<3