snowballs and fights

A week before Christmas, there was this slight festive cheer going around the Avengers Compound. The Avengers had already wrapped their presents for one another and placed it under the tree. Tony was feeling bored and suggested a snowball fight. Thor objected and suggested they go ice skating instead. The two were about to get into a fight when they found a compromise which was to do both. So their afternoon was filled with ice skating, which included Steve slipping and sliding as he held onto Natasha for his dear life and Natasha laughing every time Steve fell. A little mean, but that's Natasha Romanoff for you.

She was a little detached from the world though, as Steve had noticed later that day. Her sarcastic remarks and teasing were nowhere to be found which Steve found so strange. He didn't want to confront her about it, for fear that she might snap. He did eventually confront her when they were having a snowball fight out in the courtyard. She didn't attempt throwing anything at anyone, but instead rolled handfuls of snow into little balls and crushed them in her hands. 

S: Natasha. Are you alright?

Natasha lets out a sigh and bites her lip. 

N: Promise you won't get mad?

S: Why would I get mad?

Natasha picks up another handful of snow and rolls it into another snowball, staring at it in her hand, tears threatening to spill from her eyes. 

N: I'm pregnant Rogers. 

S: You're what?

Steve had heard her clearly, but he wanted to hear it a second time just to make sure. 

N: I'm pregnant. 

S: Damn it. We're not ready for this shit. 

N: You think I am? This was supposed to impossible yet here we are. 

Steve sighs and looks down.

S: What are you going to do about it?

N: I'm keeping it. There's no way I could ever abort it. It's a medical miracle. 

S: We're not ready for this. 

N: No one's ever ready for anything. You think I'm ready for this? No, I'm not ready for this shit either. But guess what we have to deal with this together because it takes two to tango!

At this point, the other Avengers have stopped their snowball fight and are watching this new fight unfold. 

S: You initiated sex!

N: And you went along and was bloody enjoying it!

S: What makes you think I was?

Tony looks between the two and decides to interrupt. 

T: If I may add something...

Steve and Natasha look at him and snap at the same time.

S + N: What?!

T: I think Red is right. I mean the two of you used to go at it like rabbits. In fact yesterday, all of us heard you going at it all afternoon. 

The rest of the Avengers nod. Steve flushes a shade of red. 

N: Shut up and mind your own business Tony. 

Natasha turns to Steve with disappointment written all over her face. 

N: I thought 70 years in the ice would have taught you that you have to expect the unexpected. I guess I thought wrong. 

S: This is not what this is about.. 

N: Then what is this about? And why the hell are you yelling?

S: To be fair, you started yelling first. And I don't know what to do. I can't do this. 

N: You're the one who asked me out in the first place. What do you mean you can't do this?

S: You're the one who took my virginity. 

N: And that's a bad thing? You're not the pregnant one!

S: I need a break. 

Steve takes a step back. Natasha glares at him, clearly fuming mad. 

N: A break from what? From me? From us? Grow the fuck up Rogers. You can't take a bloody break everytime you run into a problem?

S: And do you not? You keep running away everytime you face a problem!

Now Steve has stepped too far. Natasha looks at Steve hurt, throws the snowball down on the ground and turns on her heel to leave.

N: Fuck you Rogers. 

S: You already did. Which is why we ended up in this mess. 

Natasha slams the door of the compound and runs up to her room in tears. She throws herself onto the bed and curls up into a small ball. Anyone who didn't pay attention might have not noticed her at all, for her small frame all curled up amongst the bedsheets seemed like just a little lump. There was a knock on the door and Natasha felt the energy drain out of her and she groaned. 

N: Go away.

The knocking continued. There was only one person who would persist in knocking without calling her name. Fury. Natasha gets up and drags herself to the door. She opens the door and falls into Fury's arms. Fury holds her for a while until she calms down. 

N: He doesn't want it. He says he's not ready and we fought and I- He doesn't want me either. He doesn't want us.

Natasha breaks down as she explains the situation to Fury. Fury guides her to the sofa and sits with her, stroking her hair and whispering to her, just like he did all those years ago when S.H.I.E.L.D. first found her and she had all those nightmares. In a sense, Fury was like a father figure to her and he was always there to comfort her, way before Steve was and it appeared so that it would continue way after Steve. 

F: Everything's gonna be alright. He'll come back, I'm sure of it. He's just as scared as you are.

A/N: an angsty christmasy one. merry christmas to all my readers whether you celebrate it or not!! and also because christmas is not all sparkles and magic-