ˑ༄ؘ ۪۪۫۫ ▹ second chances

sequel to break up sex (M) 

Natasha and Steve had kept their relationship notoriously private from the rest of the Avengers. That meant that when they broke up no one knew either. Steve had left in a fit of anger and returned to his apartment in Brooklyn while Natasha stayed at the Avengers Compound, clearing up the mess they made, destroying all evidence of their relationship, moping around most of the time. 

_

A month passed since Steve had left but no one dared to say a thing about it. Natasha never talked about Steve and the Avengers assumed she had no part to do with his disappearance. Deep down inside, Natasha was hurting a lot. She had let her guard down, she had trusted Steve, she had did everything in her means to protect him and love him, even though love was not her thing. She truly loved him and damn, her heart ached for him every single day. Steve had left so abruptly and suddenly, he hadn't had the time to take all his clothes with him, so some part of him still lingered in the Compound. At times when Natasha missed him so much, and it became too much to handle, she would sleep in his room, on his bed, in one of his hoodies or shirts, hoping to savour every memory of him. The Avengers noticed that she spent a lot of time in Steve's room and wore a lot of Steve's clothes but none of them said anything about it. 

_

Natasha had began feeling sick shortly after Steve left. She was throwing up half of the day and nauseous for the other half. She could barely keep anything down and was eating a lot less and skipping meals a lot more. Tony assumed it was part of her moping but when it didn't go away for another week or so, he became suspicious and concerned. He caught her throwing up in the gym one day, after an attempted training session which had ended with weak punches and a fatigue Natasha. Clint knew what was going on, because he saw the signs. Natasha took a test a few days later and the positive results confirmed Clint's suspicions. The Avengers were desperate to know who the father was, to which Natasha replied "One of you." Tony had looked over at Bruce who shook his head and Clint stared at her in bewilderment. Clint had slept with Natasha once, but that was long before Budapest and before he was even married. But wasn't she meant to be sterile? This meant that the only person capable of impregnating her was Mr. Super Soldier Serum who was currently missing. 

"How far along are you?" Clint asked, trying to do the math and the science in his head all at once. 

Natasha looks down at the test."About 8 weeks." Clint smirks as Natasha's eyes dart around the room. "Shit," she mutters under her breath before running out of the room. 

_

Another month passed and Natasha was about 12 weeks into her pregnancy. She still had not heard from Steve and neither had the rest of the Avengers. Slowly, her longing and missing of him began turning into hatred and anger and it all just was too much to handle. 

_

A single trip to the supermarket running some errands had resulted in her returning to the compound teary eyed, silent for days. The Avengers dared not question that incident but knew something was terribly wrong with her. Only Natasha knew what had happened. 

_

She had been nearly done with the grocery list when she stopped in the cereals aisle, her hand instinctively reaching for a box when she pulled away suddenly. It was Steve's favourite. She didn't know what made her stop to reach for it but she knew it was because part of her missed Steve so much. But Steve had left; he was no longer staying at the compound so she wouldn't need to get that. With a sigh, she turned and looked down, accidentally bumping into someone. That someone, was the person she wanted to see the most but also loathed the most. She muttered a sorry and looked up just a little, catching his blue eyes and stumbling back with a gasp. He caught her just before she fell, his palm resting gently in the curve of her back. 

"Natasha," he whispered. 

She looked down, tears brimming in her eyes. "Please. Don't say a thing."

"I'm sorry," he whispers. 

Natasha scoffs and looks up at him with hurt in her eyes. "I'm sorry??!! That's all you say? You left Steve. You broke me. Sorry isn't going to fix anything. I hate you so much. I hate you for leaving because damn I love you. I love you so much it hurts."

Steve looks at her shocked and Natasha bites her lip realizing what she had just blurted. "I love you too Tasha. And I am so sorry. I know nothing can change what I've done. I know I've hurt you and I know you trusted me and I still did that and I'm so guilty about it. Everyday I just can't help thinking about that day. I'm so sorry Tasha. It's my fault. This is all my fault. I can't live without you. I love you. I was wondering if we could-" Steve stops mid sentence and lowers his head. 

Natasha knows what he's about to say and her lip quivers as she says the few words. "Start over?"

Steve looks at her, his eyes a little red from crying. "Please. I can't live without you."

Natasha looks at Steve, weighing her options for a second before wiping her eyes and pushing him away gently. "I'm sorry. I can't." With that, she prepares to turn on her heel and leave when Steve pulls her in for a kiss. Unlike the last one, this one is emotional, sad, passionate. When they finally pull away, they look at each other with sad eyes as Natasha wraps an arm protectively around her abdomen and leaves. 

A/N: okay i swear it wasn't meant to end on such a sad note but i ran out of ideas so i'll leave it as such for now. there'll definitely be a third part to this series i hope!! anyways hope you liked it and please vote and comment thank you!! <<3