so close, almost

Natasha's POV

I'm in my room, it's a typical Tuesday night. Except that it's not so typical and Steve is getting married in five days. I pull out my journal with a sigh. The one I write about everything that has happened in my life. The first day I met Steve, the first paired up mission I had with Steve, the first kiss I had with Steve on the escalator, the day I tried to pair Steve up with so many girls he got annoyed and asked me out instead. Steve, Steve, Steve. Why is it all about Steve? He's getting married, Tasha. He's getting married to Sharon Carter in a week. You should be happy for him, you introduced him to her and encouraged him to ask her out. Why are you sulking? I flip another page and a folded drawing falls out. It's me. Steve drew it one night when we were supposedly watching a movie together. He called it a scrap and wanted to throw it out but I insisted on keeping it so he let me have it. I let out a sigh and folded it back, tucking it back into the journal before closing it with another sigh. 

A knock on the door startled me out of my sighing and I keep the journal away, run my fingers through my hair once before I open the door. It's him. He's right there. So close but so far away. 

"Steve?" I say, forcing a smile on my face.

"I still don't know how to dance," Steve says with a small blush creeping up his cheeks as he looks down slightly. "Peggy was supposed to teach me but she never got the chance and you promised."

I did promise him. After our first mission gone wrong because he couldn't dance, I had said to him "I need to teach you how to dance" to which he responded with a small smile. I was so caught up in missions and my own mental battles that I had forgotten And he was getting married in a week of course he had to learn how to dance. I raise my eyebrows at him and he give me those irresistible puppy eyes. 

"You're lucky you're cute," I say, standing up with a sigh and pulling him to the center of the my bedroom. "Sorry for the mess," I say as I stack my things and put them aside, clearing space in the middle to dance.

He stares into blank space, loss. Like a little lost boy. My little lost boy. Except, he isn't mine.

"Earth to Rogers," I say as he stops staring at me. He tenses up as I place my hands on his shoulders. "Relax Rogers, you need to relax. Or you'll look like a wooden block dancing," I add with a teasing smile, forcefully. He raises an eyebrow at me. He noticed. He knows. "Okay so just place on hand on my waist and hold the other. And just try not to step on my toes when you move." He looks at me, as if asking for permission and I nod. He takes my right hand and places his right hand on my waist. "Now just step left... and now right... that's it. And back... and forth. And twirl... now stand behind me..." He follows my orders perfectly and soon we're actually dancing. "Good, now I'm gonna put music on. Try to keep up," I say as I pad across the hardwood floor to the speaker. The perfect song for the best dance I'm about to have in my life.

I get lost in the moment and lean my head against his chest as the music plays and we dance through the night. It feels, surreal. The music ends and I pull away abruptly. He lets go of my hand but doesn't take his hand off my waist. He brings his face so close to mine I can feel his warm breath against mine.

"Rogers, you shouldn't be doing this," I manage to whisper before he goes too far. He looks at me, a loss expression on his face. "You're getting married to Sharon. Don't do this please, don't." Tears form in my eyes and he looks down. "Don't make things harder than they already are."

"Tasha," he says, reaching for my cheek. I push his hand away and his face softens. 

"Please don't," I whisper. "You're getting married in a week you should be with her, not me. I've taught you how to dance, now go." I say, turning away. 

He grabs my arm, stopping me from leaving. "I," he begins before I shut him off.

"Don't say it," I say, looking at him with tears in my eyes. "Don't say things you don't mean and regret them."

"I mean it," he snaps. "Tasha, I love you."

I glare at him. "You don't."

"Yes I do," he insists. "I love you."

"More than her?" I ask, my voice going small. He nods. "Then say it again."

"Natasha Romanoff, I love you. No one else, only you." He says with much more confidence this time. My face falls. "Do you not?" he whispers.

"I do," I manage, "But you love Sharon and she loves you too. And she's good enough for you, I'm not. You're getting married to her in a week. We can never be anything more than friends." He drops his head down. "Do you love her?"

"Yes, but not as much as you," he says with a small twinkle in his eye. "Do you love me?"

"Yes," I say, swallowing. It's hard for me to say it. Eight letters and three words. Just say it Tasha!! "I love you."

And that's all the approval he needs. He takes his ring off his finger and throws it across the room. He looks at me with a look in his eyes and smashes his lips into mine. I'm pulled away into passion and suddenly everything seems right. 

"I'll tell her, don't worry. She'll understand. And Tasha you're right, she's good for me, you're not. It's because you're perfect." he says, as if reading my mind. "I'll see you tomorrow, good night Tasha. I love you." He picks up his ring and throws it out of the balcony, into the lake below. He kisses me once again and walks out the door. 

Is this happy ever after? 

A/N: and they lived happily ever after. this is so cliche ew. but i read somewhere on tumblr about romanogers dancing to this song (^^ see above ++ play it when you read ; it heightens the experience.) but anyways basically steve is gonna call of his engagement with sharon because no staron please and end up with tasha. at the point of writing i think i was reading fifty shades because i made so many references about one being dominating but looking lost. if you've read it you'll understand the references. if you haven't, i would recommend reading it but it isn't essential to the plot, although i'm thinking of writing bdsm sex. (yes or no??) and also idk if you've noticed but the very first sentence of this one shot starts off with the first sentence of taylor swift's you belong with me ; yes it was intended.