the smithsonian

Natasha loved to tease Steve about his age and called him old all the time. The smithsonian joke was her favourite. She had came up with it unintentionally, after going for a ride around the city after a failed mission in an attempt to cool down and passing by the smithsonian multiple times. Somehow the thought of Steve being old never failed to amuse her. The smithsonian was her safe place and unknown to her, Steve's too. Whenever either one of them was mad or needed a break, the smithsonian was their go-to place. Neither of them knew the other's secret but went to the same place anyway. They had never gotten mad at the same time, with Natasha getting mad at Tony and his antics more often than Steve and Steve getting mad at either Bucky or Sam. 

The pair had finally gotten together after much persuasion and setups by all the other Avengers, who claimed that they could see the 'Romanogers' ship sailing long before the two of them did. Even after all the drama and ups and downs in their lives, the smithsonian was still their safe place when they got upset or mad with another Avenger. Strangely enough, they hadn't had their first fight as a couple yet, which other found seemingly impossible to believe. Yes, there was the occasional banter but not a fight fight which might result in one going to the smithsonian to cool down. That, was until that one day after Steve came home from a mission. It started with them yelling at each other, about not having enough personal time or time with each other, until Steve took it too far and brought up Natasha's past. And that's when she broke, she didn't say a word but just turned around and ran to the garage before hopping onto a bike and disappearing off into the distance. Steve felt really bad for making her feel that way but felt the need to cool down as well so he waited awhile before heading in the direction of the smithsonian. 

Natasha paced up and down the smithsonian, stopping to read the signs which she had memorised and knew all too well, word for word. Little did she know that Steve was in the same building, moving up the escalator to walk to the very same exhibit Natasha was standing at. Upon entering the exhibit, Steve spots Natasha standing over the sign and lets out a gasps. She turns around with a glare but he ducks behind a pillar just in time. With a sigh, she walks towards the theatre section. Steve, after making sure that she was gone at least three times, walks to the exhibit and runs his fingers over the signs. 

Natasha felt like someone had been watching her so she had hurried into the theatre section. Who was that? With a sigh, she took a seat at the back and leaned her head against the wall. She and Steve had never had a fight on this large a scale and honestly it was kind of draining. she knew she definitely over reacted a bit but when he had unintentionally brought up her past there was something inside her that just broke further. She must have had a look of hurt on her face because Steve's faced had immediately softened but the damage had already been done. She took off and found herself her, in her comfort spot in her comfort space, the back of the theatre where they showed old films of Captain America during the war. She smiled to herself. Even when she was mad at him, she still found comfort in him and even when she was, she was never really mad. With a sigh, she got up and walked out of the theatre. As she walked out the entrance looking down, she failed to notice someone in front of her and bumped into the person. She looked up and saw the person she hoped to see the most but was least expecting to see, Steve Rogers. Without a word, she threw arms around his neck, standing on her tiptoes to reach him and buried her head in his chest. He was in shock for the first few seconds but put his hands around her. They stayed in this position for a while, with her inhaling his scent, the familiar smell that she loved, the smell of home. He was her home, he was her comforter. 

"I'm sorry," he whispers into her hair. "I shouldn't have took it too far."

"Don't, I overreacted. I'm sorry." She mumbles into his chest. 

"It's not your fault. I'm the one who brought up the Red Room. I know how much that hurts and I still did it. I'm a terrible boyfriend, I'm sorry." he says as she feels her hair go damp. He's crying. Oh my, no Steve, no. 

She lifts her head and stares into his eyes as her hand goes up to wipe his tears. "It's not your fault. It's not your fault," she whispers. 

She gives him a small smile and he looks down into her eyes. The baby blue meets emerald green and they swirl and create a beautiful turquoise. He crashes his lips into her and she doesn't resist, instead intensifying the kiss even further, her hands travelling up to tug on his blond locks. And in that moment, everything feels right. 

The smithsonian, their safe place, their comfort and in each other they find comfort. 

A/N: this went from angst to fluff real quick. also listen to the track while reading because they play that music at the smithsonian so it adds to the vibes kinda thing. and my descriptive skills suck so this is a little bleh. and also i feel like after my smut ones the rest are all disappointments- anyways enjoy lol <<3