proposals

My Dearest, Natasha Romanoff, 

Before I met you I was lost and confused. Then I met you and everything fell like pieces right into place. When I first heard of you I was very impressed and you certainly did not disappoint. You knew your worth and wont let anyone tell you otherwise and i admire you for that. You are so strong and you can be very very persuasive, but you inspire me everyday to do better. I am incredibly lucky to have met such a wonderful person like you. And I am so madly in love with you. You make my day and you never fail to make me smile, be it with actual humour or your witty comebacks to my old references. 

I love the way you love the rain, much like I do, and the fact that your laughter is so loud it lights up a room. I love the way you always make everyone feel better and that on a bad day you're my go to person. I love how terribly strong you are, persisting through pain and fighting harder every single day. I love you for all your flaws and strengths and I love that you love me too.

I love you so much that I am willing to lay my life down for you and it's not that you can't protect yourself, we are both very well aware of that fact, I just love you so much that I would do anything to keep you safe. I love you enough to want to spend the rest of my life with you.

Forever and always,

The one and only, 

Steven Grant Rogers. 

I smile. He is the sweetest. I turn and he's right there, holding a small box. 

I know it's a ring but I ask anyway. "What are you doing?" I eye him gently.

He gets down on one knee, opens the box, and begins a speech. "Natasha Romanoff, I have loved you since the day I met you. I love every bit of you, I love every part of you, I love the parts you don't and the parts you think are too dark to share. I love your strength and you inspire me to be a better person everyday and I'm so grateful for you. You've saved my life in so many ways that you don't know and you've been there for me when I needed someone to be there, and when I push you away you're still there. I love you so much. Will you marry me?"

"Yes." I whisper and he smiles, placing the ring on my left ring finger. "It's beautiful," I gasp.

"Family heirloom. It was my mothers. I want you to have it. She would have want you to have it." He states. 

"That's sweet." I reply but before I can finish, he smirks at me. 

He proceeds to then run out into the hallway of the compound, down to the common room. I follow suit. "She said yes!" He yells.

"I knew it!" Tony yells. He smirks at Steve then proceeds to stretch out his hand as the other Avengers hand him twenty dollar bills. 

Steve looks shocked. "You betted on us?"

I scoff. "It's Tony, what did you expect?"

"Oh Red, you know me too well." The billionaire quips back and I roll my eyes. 

Wanda squeals at the sight of the ring."It's so pretty."

"Please let me plan your wedding," Tony begs. 

I roll my eyes. "No thank you, T. We want something small and small to you is like half the earth's population. So we're signing papers in a courthouse and that's all." 

A groan comes from his lips. "Boring." He whines. 

"You can plan the after party though, invite a few friends or something-" Steve offers and Tony agrees. But Steve doesn't know what he has just offered and Tony's about to turn a few into a few hundred. 

We spontaneously sign papers the next day, and it's a done deal when the judge announces "With the power vested in me by the state, you are now officially married." And the deal is sealed. 

We return to a bustling compound, where the first of the guests have just started to arrive and fill out the place. The urge to sneak away and consummate this marriage is masked behind a facade of smiles and handshakes as people we barely know or haven't seen before offer rounds of congratulations. 

The highlight though, is when Tony drunkedly stumbles across stage after about three rounds of Thor's Asgardian mead and gives a toast. "We are gathered here today because my best friends just got married." The crowd cheers. "Red and Capsicle, I hope you find happiness in each other because none of us can stand the two of you, only the two of you. In a relationship such like this, we know it will stand the test of time. Just look at me and Pep, she's the only one who can make me sensible. And Red, you're the only one who can corrupt the Captain now, so do your job. I am so happy for you guys, you don't even know it. And I hope married life treats you well. To Natasha and Steve."

"To Natasha and Steve." The chorus follows. 

The next to give a toast is Sam, and while less inappropriate in a way, he's equally as hilarious. "I first met Steve when I was on a run and Natasha came to pick him up that day. I didn't know that they weren't together at the time, but they always seemed to have so much chemistry, like they were soulmates made right for each other. The next time I saw them, they showed up at my house while on the run and needless to say, them sharing a room probably wasn't the best idea for my ears. I have no idea when they started dating but by the time Steve and Tony fought in the airport, they had been hooking up for a few years. And when she came o join us on the run after, that's when I knew they were a thing. And they made no effort to hide it, so here we are, these two with too much chemistry for this world, are finally married after so long. So I hope you guys are happy, I truly do. You both deserve happiness after everything that you've been though. And I hope you find that in each other. "

The crowd cheers. Steve puts his arm around my shoulder and I lean in closer to him. And I cannot help but smile. If this is what the peak of my existence feels like, then I do hope it lasts forever. 

A/N: last letter from your lover inspired and a deleted scene from love and war (aka the novel im struggling to write) starring other characters but i changed the names hehe. enjoy and happy 2022.