62 - Asher's Fate

Walk through the fire
Do we learn from it?
Make it brighter
Do we burn from it?
We uncover what we're doing here
What have we become?
(Have we become?)

Better to fight for
Fight for something than to live for
Live for nothing
It's a cold world
We make the best of it
What have I become?
(Have I become?)

I'm a warrior
And I known what I'm fighting for
I'm a warrior. - Warrior - Stitched Up Heart

Davyna's POV

A chill runs up my spine as I enter the house. It's completely abandoned, rooms are empty and I notice paint chipping off the walls and the floors scratched all to hell.

I'm confused, only because wasn't our house bought by a vampire family? Unless that was a lie as well. It sure seems like the latter, since the state of the house does not look like any type of family was ever living here after we left. Matthias and I haven't even been gone from this place for a year yet, although it's creeping up.

I'm interrupted by Vincent coming up beside me. "We're going to go check around the house. Call out if you find anything, okay?" I nod. "I will, you all be careful too, we don't know exactly what is going on here."

Then I'm alone again, standing in what used to be my front hall.

I glance around and my eyes fall on the glass door that leads out to the backyard, and the memories of that dreadful night come into my mind. I shake them away as I make my way to the door. I slide it open and take a breath and step outside, snowflakes falling.

I'm met with a familiar, yet unfriendly face. My brows furrow as I look upon Asher, leaning against a tree near the back of the yard. Near where Klaire died. The backyard is blanketed in a small layer of snow. If the situation that brought me here wasn't as it is, I would love to walk around the trees back here and reminisce now that I've come to terms with myself. It looks lovely.

"You came. Good. I know your people came too, so I brought some backup."

Suddenly glass smashes from a window above and crashes down between Asher and I. I tense as I hear struggling, roars and snarls. As this is happening, Asher doesn't approach me or even look up. I grit my teeth and am about to approach him when Caleb, Vincent, Marcella and Sage are all brought out by what I can only assume are Asher's henchmen through the door I just came through. They're not worse for wear, but I'm wondering how they were subdued so quickly.

"Chemical concoction that weakens supernaturals, if you're wondering." Asher states as he finally looks at me. "Couldn't have your protectors interrupting what is sure to be eventful."

A low growl escapes my lips. "Where is Matthias?"

Asher chuckles. "He's fine, but just not here."

I glare at him. "Stop with the fucking riddles, Asher. Where is he?"

He sighs. "I like the riddles, but fine. He's still at the Hollow. Just hidden away to make it seem like he was missing. All part of the plan to get you here."

Honestly, I'm relieved. Matthias wont be a victim in the crossfire then. I won't have to worry about looking out for him. I lower my stance and Asher smirks.

"Not wasting time I see."

"You're going to regret everything you've done."

"Good sentiment, but no Davyna. I'll be the one successful here and be bringing you back to Elijah."

Bingo. So I was right. He is working with Elijah.

"What has Elijah offered you to make you turn on your home, your kin?" I ask as Asher moves closer to me and lowers his stance to meet mine.