35 - Arriving at Avern

I feel like there is no need for conversation
Some questions are better left without a reason
And I would rather reveal myself than my situation
Now and then I consider my hesitation
The more the light shines through me

I pretend to close my eyes
The more the dark consumes me
I pretend I'm burning, burning bright

I wonder if the things I did were just to be different

To spare myself of the constant shame of my existence

And I would surely redeem myself in my desperation
Here and now I'll express my situation. - Burning Bright - Shinedown

Davyna's POV

"How long until we get to Avern?" I ask Vincent as he starts the engine, the car roaring to life and begins to pull away from the front of the compound. I wave goodbye to Caleb quickly.

"It's about a 6 hour drive. We will make a few stops on the way there if needed."

"Okay, sounds good to me. Glad I packed a book then." I chuckle to myself as I reach around into the backseat to grab my bag and pull out my book and my small flashlight I use for night reading. I place them in my lap and return my bag to the backseat, and then proceed to stare out the window, as we exit the large gates at the front of the compound and proceed on our little journey.

The ride is silent for the first little bit, as Vincent is focusing on driving and I've been too busy admiring the dark scenery outside. It's hard to believe that we're coming into Fall and I've been living at The Hollow for almost 5 months. So much has changed in such a short amount of time. I look at the trees on the side of the road as we pass them, wishing it was more light out so I can see the colours that are starting to change. It's still relatively warm outside, which should be really nice for these weeks with Vincent and Caleb.

I see Vincent adjust the rearview mirror from the corner of my eye and I look in his direction, deciding to steal a look at him while he's occupied with driving. My heart flutters as I take in the sight of him in his casual blue jeans and grey t-shirt. It's rare that he's actually wearing casual clothes, but he looks just as attractive no matter what he's wearing. His blond hair is down for once, flowing freely with from the wind coming through his slightly open window. God damn. I can never get enough of looking at him and Caleb. I'm definitely becoming more bold in my decisions when it comes to these two, and I'm finding it more and more difficult to not get so worked up around them. Or as Caleb said, "aroused." I think back to how there are four outfits of lingerie in my bag, courtesy of Marcella. I blush a little.

"You keep staring like that, and I might just have to stop this car, love." He says without even glancing my way. I inhale sharply at his remark. I wasn't really incognito with my staring. Whoops.

"What made you decide to drive?" I ask, trying to deter from the clear sexual tension happening between us. "I got tired of Ruka driving me everywhere, and I wanted this trip to be just you and I."

"If you need a break I can take over." I suggest to him and he smiles. "I love that you're thinking of my well-being love, but I'm sure I'll be good." He pauses. "But if I do need one, I will be sure to let you know."

"You better. Don't push it." I say sternly. "I will." He replies as he removes his right hand off the steering wheel and places it on my thigh, rubbing small circles with his thumb. I place my hand over his and squeeze it tightly, feeling the ever so familiar warm tingles travel from my fingers all the way up my arm. I sigh in content and smile at the gesture.

He removes his hand and puts it back on the steering wheel and I decide to open up my book to read for a little bit, using my small flashlight to make it a bit easier.