3 - An Odd Breakfast

I've tried to find reconciliation, behind the walls of those whose hatred burns. For I find it easier to reach someone who still feels, than to make amends with passionless apathy. - Anger and Apathy - As I Lay Dying

Davyna's POV

(3 years later)

BEEP.....BEEP......BEEP
BEEP....BEEP....BEEP
BEEP...

I open my eyes to my alarm beeping loudly, signaling it's 6 AM and time to get up. I roll over and turn it off and sit up in my bed. Yawning, I stretch and then pull off the covers and get out of bed. I go over to my dresser and pull out my workout gear and set it on my bed.

Walking into my bathroom, I look at myself in the mirror. Not much has changed in the past 3 years since Mom was murdered, well aside from my mental state and my bodily physique. I vowed I'd never be weak and avenge my mother's death, so I've been following a steady workout routine since I initially felt I could handle it. The result? I'm stronger. Not as strong as I'd like to be, but I'm working on it. Also aside from my Dad, I don't talk to many people unless I have to. Less of an emotional attachment, the better. Blame it on my relentless anger towards all supernatural beings, and my obsession on vengeance for my mom.

The council completely failed in finding the vampire who brutally killed her in front of me, so I'd decided I could only rely on myself. Dad has told me many times that it's unhealthy and I need to back off, but I don't want to. If I have to be honest though, I'm not much further in finding out who killed her either. The time will come, I'm sure. Until I'm able to move forward, I've just been focusing on getting stronger. I will never be weak again.

Sighing, I braid my curls and wrap the braid into a quick bun at the base of my neck. Running the water, I wash my face and apply my skincare and sunscreen. I take one last glance at myself before I walk out and change into my workout clothes and make my bed. I grab my phone and headphones as I walk out of my room and head downstairs.

As I get to the bottom, I see Dad at the kitchen table. "Morning, Davyna." He says looking up from his papers to smile at me. "Going for your morning run?" I nod.

"Yup. Be back in an hour. You cooking breakfast or am I?" I reply as I get my water bottle from the cupboard and proceed to fill it with water from the fridge. "I'll do it. It'll be ready when you get back. Have a good run, sweetheart." Dad says as he stacks the papers he was reading in a pile on the table.

"Thanks, Dad. See you soon." I wave as I put my headphones in and step out the back door. I close the back door behind me and I stop and glance over to the spot where my mother's body laid after that vampire killed her. I inhale deeply, close my eyes and exhale. Taking a small sip of water, I begin my run.

Exactly an hour later, I walk through the back door to have the amazing scent of bacon filling my nose. "Breakfast is almost ready." My dad states from the kitchen. Putting my water bottle down on the counter along with my phone and headphones, I quickly run upstairs and change into my clothes for the day, black jeans and a loose fitting coral t-shirt. Dad is just putting our plates down on the table as I come back down. The relationship between me and my Dad hasn't changed all that much, aside from the fact that he hardly ever brings up Mom these days, there being too many moments where I've lost my cool and blown up at him over it.  It's still too painful to revisit after all this time. In light of that, we've settled into our own routines now, and he gives me my space, which I am quite thankful for. 

"Smells amazing dad, thank you." I say as I sit down, and he nods as he sits in his spot as well. We start to eat and after a bit I notice dad looking at me. "You okay?" I ask.

"Yes, I'm fine sweetheart. I just have something to talk to you about, and I don't want to upset you." I put my fork down. "Is it something to do with mom?" I look at him questionably. He takes a sip of his coffee. "It's part of it, yes." I stiffen a little, and place my hands under the table and clench my fists tightly, as to not alarm him of my sudden change of mood. "What is it dad? Just tell me."

He sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose. He always does that when he's stressed or upset about something. " I was contacted by the council last week. They told me they still have no idea who killed your mother, but they also had something to ask of me." I continue to look at him as dig my fingers into my legs under the table. "What do they want from you? They've already failed - miserably I might add - at finding mom's killer, so what could you possibly help them with?" I question intently.

He takes another sip of his coffee. "Apparently the council has been looking into having a representative of the human race be on their council to make sure humans have a proper voice when it comes to affairs involving them." I look at him wide eyed. "And they asked you?" He nods. "They stated because of my extensive law knowledge before they came into the picture, as well as working alongside them after..." He pauses. "Well before your mother was killed anyways, that I would be more then qualified to make sure humans are treated fairly."

I scoff loudly. "You mean they asked you because they feel guilty they couldn't find one of THEIR kind who killed YOUR wife.. MY MOTHER in cold blood?" I say, as the anger inside me threatens to take over. Dad looks at me seriously. "Davyna.." I cut him off. "Yeah yeah. I know." I take a breath and continue calmly. "So what did you say?"

Dad clears his throat. "I told them that I needed time to think about it and to talk to you about it, and that I would let them know my answer in a couple weeks."

"So what do you want to tell them? Do you want to actually be a part of their world and help them?" I resume eating, as my stomach growls and I realize I've been letting my food sit while Dad is telling me all of this. He is still for a few minutes after I ask this, and then he looks at me with wet eyes and nods. "Davyna, I know that it's been hard since your mother was taken from us, but I feel like I can make a difference working alongside the council. Maybe I can help prevent what happened to your mother from happening to another human family."

Tears well up in my eyes, I look at my plate quickly and take a large mouthful of food and chew, trying to distract myself. Dad places his hand on mine on the table and squeezes it. "I know that you hate them for what happened and the inaction they've taken in finding her killer. But I know she would want me to help others."

I swallow my mouthful of food and look at him. "So if you accepted, what does that mean for us? What happens?"

"We would sell this house, and move back to the city. We would live in the compound where the rest of the council members and their families stay. You could get a job in the city, or go back to school like you planned before everything happened. It's up to you." He pauses again before continuing. "You're an adult so I can't tell you what to do. But I know that I'd want you to live at the compound. You'd be safer there." I roll my eyes. "I'd be safer in a compound full of supernaturals... right." 

I sigh and hold my hand up before he can protest or argue with me. "I'll deal with it Dad. If this is really what you want to do, I can't stop you."

It takes immense strength to say what I do next. "You can accept. I fully support you." He looks at me and smiles. "Thank you, Davyna. I love you so much sweetheart."

"I love you too, Dad." I finish my breakfast and take my plate to the kitchen to clear it off. After putting it in the dishwasher, I turn to look at my Dad who is still eating his food and has now started to read his papers once again, clearly more relaxed after our discussion.

I put my hand to my forehead and I mumble quietly to myself, "Fuck."