22 - Kaius Revealed

Count your blessings and prepare to change your point of view
All those days that you spend waiting won't come back to you
Take off the glasses that have treated your world black and grey
It doesn't get easy, don't you know. - April Rain - Delain

(???'s) POV

I see the flicker of flames and I can't help but smile. I watch my soldiers work their way through the werewolf village and ransack it. Orders are to kill all except the Alpha, Beta and Gamma wolves and their families. I need the strongest wolves to test my theory.

My commander comes up to me. "Report?" I ask.

"All Alpha, Beta and Gamma wolves are in the vans ready for transport. The village has been checked over, there's no survivors, My Lord."

"Good work."

"One more thing, sir. Vehicles belonging to the council have been spotted leaving the Hollow. We believe they got wind of our attack."

"Let them come, they are completely clueless of my plans and will continue to stay that way, for now."

He nods and leaves, knowing I don't like long conversations. People usually end up dead if they don't get to the point. Alas, I make my way to my own vehicle, looking back at the fiery chaos that used to be a peaceful little village. I climb in the backseat and signal my driver that I'm ready to leave. The engine starts and we drive off into the night.

 - - - 

Caleb's POV

I feel terrible about leaving Davyna and leading her to get so angry that she hurt herself. Why does this have to be so hard? Vincent and I, we just want to be with her, make her happy, make her feel good, accepted. It's insane to think that just months ago, I was still reeling from my incident. Now I've finally had some life knocked back into me, and it's just as complicated.

She's worth it. She's my mate. I'm just getting impatient. Doesn't help that Kaius is dying to meet her. I can only assume he would terrify her right now though. I was actually quite surprised when I was trying to maintain control earlier, that she didn't bolt then. When she looked me straight in the eyes and held my face, I felt such an inner peace that I thought was lost.

I hear Vincent sigh and switch my attention back to the task at hand. "Where should we start?" I ask Vincent as we get to the central area of the archive building. It's on the opposite side of the compound from the living quarters, but it's only one large room with one upper level. Dark wooden bookshelves line every single wall, floor to ceiling, with small areas of seating dotted around for reading. Smaller shelves are arranged in a partial circle on the main floor, lined around the only large seating area in the centre of the entire room. Steel stairs are on either side at the back of the room to access the upper level.

Documents and books from here are not to be taken out per the Council rules, so anything we find we need to either try to remember or take reference pictures or notes.

Vincent finally answers me after some thought. "Let's research mate bonds first, then look into species abnormalities. From what Sage said about Davyna being adopted, it's likely she may not be human."

"Alright. I'll look for mate bond material, where should I go?"

"Back of the room, left side on this level."

Of course he would know where to go. Such a bookworm vampire. I head over and scan the book titles, left to right, shelf by shelf. One catches my eye. "History of mate bonds, let's grab that one." I say to myself and pull it from the shelf. I don't see any other ones that could give me the information I'm looking for, so I head back to that seating area and plop my ass down on a chair.