4 - Moving On

There must be something they're hiding, must be reasons that no-one will dare to tell.
There must be something inside me, but I don't think so anymore. - World Falls Away - Seether

Davyna's POV

(2 months later)

"Why do I have so much stuff?" I groan to myself as I look around the room at the piles upon piles of my personal belongings and boxes that I've been packing up for the past few days.

Dad went ahead and accepted the council's offer to become their human representative. Hence why I'm packing up everything I own. The house sold a couple weeks ago to some vampire family, and they've given us a decent amount of time to pack up our belongings for our big move back to the city.

I've decided to get a job once I'm back in the city, as I didn't want to bother with my education anymore. It wasn't something I wanted to burden myself with while I was still trying to figure out who killed my mother. I wasn't interested and I needed to dedicate as much time to Mom as possible, but still seem like a regular, normal person day to day. Whatever "normal" is these days.

Back to packing I guess. I sigh and grab another box, and walk over to my closet. I pull all the clothes from my closet and throw them in the box, hangers still attached. I catch out of the corner of my eye a box in the top left. I pull it down and immediately regret it. It's the box of mom's stuff that I put away after she died. I open it and I think back to that day. Tears well up in my eyes, but then the anger surfaces. I slam the lid back down on the box and throw it in the box. "Not ready for that."

"Not ready for what?" My Dad says as he steps into my room slightly. "Nothing, Dad. I'm fine." I say without looking. He clears his throat and says, "Are you okay, honey?" I wipe my eyes. "I will be, don't worry. Just having a hard time leaving here." I finally look at him. "I know, honey. I'm struggling too." He frowns slightly and looks down, obviously thinking on how to console me when he can't even do that for himself.

He inhales sharply before suggesting, "Why don't you take a break up here and go start the kitchen?" I look back at the box. "Yeah, that sounds like a good idea, Dad. Thanks." I walk up to him and hug him tightly before heading downstairs.

- - -

(1 Week Later)

It's moving day. I pick up the last box from my room and bring it downstairs and outside the open front door where the moving truck is sitting in the driveway. Dad is talking to the movers as I set the box down near the others. He's probably telling the movers which boxes should go into the truck first. I decide that since he's busy, I was going to take a moment to go back into the house and say goodbye.

I walk back into the house, and take my time walking around the main floor, then I head upstairs and do the same thing there. I then head back downstairs and I go out the back sliding door. I pause, and look around the backyard. I take in the scenery, closing my eyes and breathing in deep. "I'm gonna miss taking my morning run out here everyday." I open my eyes and look to the spot that Mom died. I feel the anger resurface, but I push it down.

I walk over to that dreadful spot and kneel down and touch the ground. Taking a deep breath to calm myself, I say "I'll keep my promise to avenge you Mom." I exhale shakily and stand up and idle there for a few minutes until I hear my Dad from the house. "Davyna! Need your help with the boxes!" I take another quick look before turning my back to the spot and calling out to reply, "Coming, Dad!"

I walk back through the house taking last looks, remembering memories made, and I leave out the front door with more determination then I thought possible. No longer broken, just pissed and ready to get answers. Little did I know, exactly how much my life was going to change once we got back to the city.

__________________________________

A/N
 - Short filler chapter, but it was needed!

 - See you in the next one! - vv