20 - Carved Wolf

Cause when the lights are down, there's no more to say.
Love is the real pain, an internal revolution in our minds.
And when the lights are down, you're so far away.
Tell me your real name, in the silence of the darkness we unite. - When the Lights Are Down - Kamelot

Caleb's POV

"What did you say?" I ask quietly as not to disturb the sleeping beauty between Vincent and I.

"She's adopted."

"Okay we need to talk about this now, I'm going to move her to her room."

"Why?" Sage questions intently.

Vincent replies, "She doesn't know she's our mate yet."

"Oh I see." Sage says as I move out from under Davyna's legs with care and scoop her up gently. She stirs slightly, but settles back into a deep sleep shortly after. I carry her past the kitchen, down the hall to her room. I manage to open the door with one hand and lay her down gently on her bed. As soon as she feels the mattress under her, she rolls over, bringing her one leg up so her knee rests hear her stomach. I cover her with a small blanket that was already on her bed, move her hair out of her face and place a small kiss on her temple. Her breathing is even, calm. 

There is so much about her I don't know, yet I'm drawn to her instinctively. All I know is I want to know more. I want to know her every desire, traits, things she loves, things she hates, and everything in between. 

I take another quick glance at her before closing the door quietly and heading back to the living room with the others.

"Spill." I say as I sit back down and take a sip of my whiskey.

Sage clears her throat again. "Back before you guys "came out", I overheard her mom and dad having a conversation with my parents at a get together they had. They thought Davyna and I were upstairs having a slumber party, but I had come down to get a drink of water."

She continues. "They were all in the living room at my house at the time. I stopped to listen, which I know I shouldn't have, but I heard Matthias tell my parents that they were incredibly grateful to have Davyna, and that she came to them when she did."

"That could still mean that her mother gave birth to her." Vincent states.

"Yeah but then he went on to say that they didn't know what will become of her when she got older. That they agreed to raise her and take care of her not knowing where or who she may have came from."

"So there's a possibility she isn't human, but presents as one." Vincent says as he swirls his wine in his glass. "Does she know about this?"

"I guess, and no. I never told her." Sage answers. "She was with Matthias and Klaire from a baby though. We grew up together, went to school together until they pulled her out to homeschool her once things started to come about with the supernaturals. Our families stayed in touch but we went different ways. I stayed in the city and they moved out to the outskirts until...." She pauses briefly. "Until Matthias got the offer to come here to the Hollow."

"What of her mother?" I ask. "Councilman Matthias only arrived here with Davyna."

"She died." There's a small moment of silence as that sinks in and then Vincent clears his throat.

"We need to look at the archives. There's bound to be something there... at least I hope. This is intensely confusing since we don't know how Davyna could have two mates from different species."

"Why don't we make a trip down there tomorrow?" Marcella adds in. "I've still got the club closed down for another night. We could all go."

I reply, "Not a bad idea, but how can we convince Davyna to go without telling her anything? It's still not completely safe for her to know yet."