Chapter 12

Soobin:

As I was heading out to the training fields with the Duke, I ran into YN and Mina returning. I had to admit my wife did look beautiful and regal in her simple shirt and classy pants. Her dark curls were hanging loose around her shoulders and she had minimal makeup on that enhanced her lovely features.

"Good morning your highness," the Duke said, bowing as she approached.

"Good morning. How are you this morning?" YN asked, her voice soft and gentle.

"I am well your highness," the Duke replied. "Were you on the training fields?"

"Yes. Emira and I wanted to check the progress of the royal guard. Jungkook and Jimin have done a remarkable job with the young men. It is an absolute marvel to see," YN replied.

I could see the Duke tense up at her words. I knew he didn't like the training program in place but until my coronation there was not much either of us could do about it. My father had approved it and it is the way it would stay.

"If you need myself or Emira, we will be in the library," YN said, her attention turning to me.

I nodded. "Enjoy your reading. I will return in time for lunch," I said, not missing the look of surprise on YN's face. I never joined her for lunch. For some reason I didn't understand, I wanted to spend time alone with my wife.

"Oh my father and I would love to join you for lunch," a familiar voice said from behind me. I turned and saw Mina approaching. She had on a short strapless black dress that was more appropriate for an intimate party rather than spending casual time in the palace.

I saw YN's face tighten at her words before she carefully composed herself. "Of course Mina. It is always a pleasure to have guests at meals," YN said politely then gave a small smile. "I'm sure Chef Jin has prepared something amazing yet again."

I didn't miss the smugness in YN's face and raised an eyebrow at her. She gave me a blank expression, refusing to give anything away. I'm not sure what my wife had up her sleeve but I wasn't exactly sure I wanted to know. YN respected Chef Jin and would immediately defend him if he were insulted. I almost felt bad for Mina to be at the mercy of YN's wrath.

Mina's smiled dropped immediately but then she plastered on a false one. "I'm sure your chef will come up with something tolerable," she said, her voice filled with false sweetness.

YN's eyes darkened and I recognized the look immediately. Emira must have seen the same thing I did. "Come along your highness," Emira said gently. "Namjoon has another book recommendation for you."

"How dreadfully boring. Closing oneself in a library all day. The gardens are a much more enjoyable place to spend one's time in. So many interesting things to see," Mina replied. I didn't miss the sneer in her voice.

The color drained from YN's face and Emira clenched the sleeve of YN's shirt, her knuckles turning white. "Let's go YN," Emira said gently, her face red with rage. She tugged the princess down the hallway before YN had a chance to protest.

I caught Mina's smirk as YN and Emira walked away. I wasn't sure what had happened between Mina and my wife, but I was determined to figure it out.

YN:

I entered the library with Emira following close behind me. I could tell she was trying to keep her composure and miserably failing.

Emira led me to a chair and sat me down. "I will be right back with tea," she said, her voice soft and soothing.

I was sitting there in silence for a moment, thinking of Mina's words. I was so caught up in my thoughts that I did not hear Namjoon approaching. He had a smile on his face and a book in his hands. "Good morning your highness," he said, bowing. "How are you?"

"Namjoon do you think I am boring?" I asked suddenly. He was a handsome man and highly intelligent. If he thought I was boring then what Mina said must be true.

Namjoon looked at me in shock for a moment before responding. "I beg your pardon your highness, but I don't understand," he finally replied.

"Do you think I am boring because I read so much? I can't help it if I love the written word. Books... books help me escape the life I am currently living in," I said.

Namjoon sat in the chair. "Your highness, I'm not sure what brought this on, but I absolutely do not think you are boring. You're a bright and clever woman. The conversations I've had with you over the books we have read are some of the most interesting conversations I have ever had in my life. I enjoy my time with you immensely. You are not boring in the slightest," he said, his voice filled with conviction.

"Thank you Namjoon for those kind words. I'm not sure what came over me," I replied, my voice sad. I knew exactly what brought it on but I didn't want to admit it out loud. "Now what book have you brought me today?"

"Well since you have seemed to enjoy the other Shakespeare books I have brought you, I'm brining you The Taming of the Shrew. It is quite different from some of his other works, but I believe you will enjoy it," Namjoon said, handing me a book. He looked at a book on the table that was with the others I had been reading. "Another new one?"

I felt my cheeks getting pink. "Um... this was a recommendation from someone else. He came in here a few days ago and suggested I read this book," I said, giving him a nonchalant shrug.

Namjoon smiled. "It is a wonderful choice. A beautiful romantic story. Since you mentioned books help you escape the life you live, that particular book is a wonderful way to accomplish that. It is loosely based on the biography of Princess Patricia of Connaught. Instead of marrying another royal, she married a naval officer, a commoner if you will," Namjoon explained.

"I have read the beginning of the book and it is indeed romantic. Just the thing I need in times like these," I said softly.

Namjoon gave me a soft smile. "I must go attend to the financial books. I look forward to another conversation soon," he said. "Enjoy your book your highness."

"I will," I replied as he turned to leave. "And Namjoon? Thank you for your kind words."

Namjoon bowed. "It was my pleasure your highness," he replied.

I picked up the storybook given to me by the handsome man and opened it up. I was surprised to learn from Namjoon that the book was based on true events. What was this handsome man trying to say? Or was I simply reading too much into it? Maybe it was just a beautiful recommendation. I leaned my head back against the chair and closed my eyes in distress.

I could hear Emira entering the room, pushing the teacart. "You okay YN?" she asked.

"Yes. I am all right. Namjoon brought me The Taming of the Shrew," I replied holding up the book.

"Namjoon's choices are always interesting," Emira replied.

"Emira am I boring?" I asked.

Emira dropped the teaspoon she was using to put sugar in my tea. She rushed to my side and dropped to her knees in front of me, taking my hands and gripping them tight. "Please. Please do not listen to anything that wretched woman says. Ever," Emira pleaded, her voice gentle but her face tight with anger. "Mina is a horrible person and she doesn't know you. She does not know near enough about you to make such a harsh and ignorant judgment about you. Don't give that vile woman's words another thought."

I nodded at her words, thankful for my lovely and loyal friend. "Can you do me a small favor?" I asked. Emira's eyes brightened. Although she is my lady's maid, I rarely ask her to do anything for me. I feel terrible giving her tasks but she always tells me it's a privilege for her. "Would you please ask Jimin, Jungkook, and Taehyung to join us for lunch. I can't imagine being stuck in a room with that woman and her father only."

Emira gave me a bright smile. "Of course," she replied, a smirk on her face. I didn't even want to think of what Emira was thinking. Whenever she got that look on her face, the thoughts were never good.