Chapter 9

???:

I was walking past the French doors to the rose garden when the princess came rushing in. She had tears in her beautiful eyes and the look of utter sadness on her face further tormented my already aching heart. I held out a hand to her and she paused momentarily, catching my eye. She gave me a sweet smile that didn't quite reach her eyes.

"Princess, are you alright? What is it?" I asked, the concern evident in my voice.

She hesitated but then shook her head. "I will be okay. Thank you for asking," she said before hurrying down the corridor in the direction of the library.

My eyes followed my beautiful goddess until she disappeared from view. I turned to the sound of the doors opening again and Mina stepped through. Her hair was disheveled, her shirt was wrinkled, and she had a smug smile on her face. When her eyes met mine, they widened in shock. She then narrowed them at me before sending a smirk my way. She walked slowly towards me, her slim hips swaying with every step and her eyes filled with lust. "Like what you see handsome?" she asked, her voice sultry.

I shivered visibly at her words, but from disgust not desire. "No thank you. I believe I'll pass," I said, my voice dry and almost bored sounding.

Mina's shock showed on her face before she composed herself and brushed past me. The overpowering scent of her strong perfume was enough to make me gag. I shuddered as the wretched woman left me and I headed in the opposite direction, simply to avoid her.

My mind went back to the princess. I could only guess what she had witnessed in the garden between Mina and Soobin. The thought that my beautiful goddess had to be a witness to such horrid acts from her husband was enough to make me sick to my stomach.

I headed into the kitchen to see Jin. The bright smile of my friend always did wonders for me. Jin was busy preparing the evening meal, a roast with all the trimmings. The intoxicating smells coming from the kitchen were enough to make my mouth water. Jin turned at my entrance, a smile lighting up his face.

"My friend," Jin said. "I'm so pleased to see you." He turned away from the cutting board where he was chopping assorted vegetables and poured me a cup of coffee. I thanked him with a smile. "What brings you in here?"

I sighed and took a seat at the island. "I believed the princess just witnessed an intimate act between Prince Soobin and Mina. I saw her rushing in with tears in her eyes. Mina followed shortly sporting that just fucked look."

Jin's eyes widened in horror and his smile disappeared, his mouth contorting in anger. "That filthy son of a bitch," he snarled, taking me by surprise. The usual mild mannered man was clearly seething in quiet rage. "How is the princess?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "I attempted to stop her, but she refused. She said she was alright and headed down the corridor towards the library," I explained, the concern still evident in my voice.

Jin's eyes softened at the mention of the princess. Everyone in the palace had a soft spot for my goddess and Jin was no different. "I truly hope she will be alright. We all knew the marriage was in name only, but there was hope that Prince Soobin would at least do the right thing by her and attempt to make the marriage real. It will have to be real in a sense since the princess will be required to produce a heir once she becomes queen."

I clenched my fists around my coffee mug at the thought of them consummating the marriage. I couldn't bear the thought of my goddess being touched by the disgusting prince. He surely did not deserve to put his filthy hands on her beautiful body. Jin eyed me and I slowly relaxed my hands. I could not allow my feelings for the princess to show, no matter the circumstances.