Chapter 14

Emira:

After lunch, YN insisted on going to the kitchen to personally thank Jin for the lunch preparations. Her kindness towards the rest of the palace staff continued to amaze me. She truly cared about everyone and it broke my heart to see her stuck with someone who didn't love her and mistreated her so badly.

As we entered the kitchen, Jin's face lit up at the sight of the both of us and I noticed the handsome man that had caught YN's attention. He was sitting at the table, a cup of coffee in front of him and his face filled with worry. "Good afternoon your highness," Jin said, giving her a deep bow. "What brings you to the master's domain?"

YN laughed at his words and I rolled my eyes. This man sure loved his kitchen. "I just wanted to thank you for lunch. It was absolutely wonderful. Your homemade chips may be my ultimate favorite dish," she said, her voice soft and sweet.

Jin blushed but returned her laugh. "Even better than my crepes?" he asked, a smug smile on her face.

YN placed a hand to her cheek as though she were thinking. "Tis an unfair question Chef Jin. Both are exceptionally good," she replied.

Jin gave her another smile then turned to wink at me. The handsome man sat and watched the interaction, a look of complete love and adoration on his face as he gazed at her. It amazed me how YN could not see that he was in love with her.

YN turned to him and gave him a smile. "Did you enjoy your lunch?" she asked.

The man gave her a smile, nodding his head. "I did indeed princess," he said. "You made a wonderful selection."

I watched them stare at each other for a moment before Jin coughed and their eyes darted away from each other. The man stood up and brought his coffee cup to the sink. "I must get back to my duties," he said. "Thank you for the coffee and conversation Jin."

Jin gave him hug, patting him on the back. "Anytime my friend. You are always welcome in here," he said. "Just as long as you don't touch anything."

Both men laughed then the object of YN's affection turned to her and bowed. "Have a lovely day princess and I will see you at dinner," he said, his voice husky as he spoke to her.

YN blushed and gave him a soft smile. "Looking forward to it," she said, her voice quiet. The man bowed exited and left the kitchen quickly, leaving the rest of us staring after him.

I turned to the princess. "Shall we go stroll through the gardens?" I asked.

YN turned to me. "That sounds lovely," she replied. YN focused her attention back on Jin. "Thank you again for lunch."

Jin gave her a proud smile. "Any special requests you have, please let me know. I enjoy cooking for you," he said.

YN and I went to exit the kitchen. Before the door closed, I turned and gave Jin a smile, a silent promise to visit him that evening. YN and I headed towards the garden. We settled on a bench in the small gazebo, overlooking the garden.

"Care to tell me about you and Chef Jin?" YN asked, a curious smile on her face.

My mouth dropped open in shock. "Um... whatever do you mean?" I asked, trying to stall.

YN sighed then patted my hand. "Emira you're like my sister. I know you as well as I know myself. Did you really think you could hide this from me?" she asked. "I could see the looks you and Chef Jin give each other."

I looked down at my fingers, twisting the silver ring YN's parents had given me on my 18th birthday. I was worried about telling her but I hated keeping a secret from my best friend. "I love him," I said simply.

YN:

At Emira's words, I let out a small gasp then gathered my friend in my arms. "I am so happy to hear this," I exclaimed truthfully, smirking on the inside. I knew it. The looks they gave each other when they thought no one was looking were absolute looks of love and adoration.

"Is... is it okay?" Emira asked, her voice nervous once I released her. She was looking down at her hands, refusing to make eye contact.

I lifted her chin with my fingers forcing her to look at me. "My dearest friend, my sister, of course it is okay. Who am I to begrudge you your happiness when you deserve it most of all?" I asked.

Emira's eyes filled with tears and my heart broke for my closest friend. "I'm so sorry for keeping a secret from you," she said, her voice sad. "But I felt so guilty since I was so happy and you were so miserable."

I hugged Emira again. "Oh my sweet friend. I am so unbelievably happy that you have found someone who loves you so much. I can see it in his face as he gazes at you. You are so incredibly fortunate to have love like that," I replied pulling back and wiping the tears from her cheeks. "Please don't ever think you have to hide anything from me."

Emira sighed and gave me a small smile. "I've wanted so badly to tell you about this, but I've been worried," she admitted.

"No worries at all. Now tell me this wonderful love story of yours," I said, gripping onto her hands and holding them tightly, excitement in my voice. I really wanted to hear how my closest friend fell in love with the handsome chef.

Emira giggled at my enthusiastic response, but then relented and told me the story of how Jin kissed her in the kitchen one evening, taking her completely by surprise. They had secretly seeing each other for almost 3 months. The only person who knew beside myself now was the handsome man who had been filling my thoughts over the last couple days. I pushed him from my mind and turned my attention back to Emira. "I really am happy for you," I said, my voice filled with the honesty of my statement.

Emira and I spent another hour in the garden. She was telling me stories of her evenings with Jin and I was only too happy to listen to my friend. I was truly happy that she had found love. Although I was a bit envious, I would not change anything. Emira had such a hard life losing her parents at such an early age that she deserved to fall in love and be happy. It was what I wanted most for her.

That evening after the evening meal, I lay in my bed thinking of everything that had happened that day. With the coronation only a week away, my mind was filled with worries. Shortly after the coronation, there would be talk of providing an heir. I knew without a doubt that I did not want to bear his children. The thought of intimacy with him made me ill, especially knowing that he was probably in Mina's bed at this very moment. I also knew that there would be no love or even respect in this marriage. I had high hopes when we first got engaged, but over time, those hopes were dashed each time Soobin spoke to me. He was never kind or caring, but always cold and polite. I fell asleep that night, my heart heavy and tears on my face.