Chapter 10

YN:

That night I laid my bed, thinking about what had happened in the garden with Mina and Soobin. I knew that Soobin did not love me, but I had hoped he would have enough respect for not only me but the rest of the kingdom to not continue his affair with Mina. If word got out to the people, it would be catastrophic.

I thought about the handsome man I had run into coming from the garden. His face had filled my thoughts more and more lately. He was always so polite and kind. He looked at me and I mean really looked at me. He had the most beautiful dark eyes and a smile that made me want to melt from the cuteness. He was such a contradicting mix of adorableness and sexiness. The duality of the man drove me crazy. I smiled as I thought about him, my first real smile of the day.

"What's that smile for?" Emira asked, coming into the room. She perched on the edge of the bed and I sat up. She reached over and taking my hand. "Come on YN, tell me. I promise I wont tell anyone."

I hesitated then spoke. "I... I've been thinking about someone lately. Someone that isn't my husband," I said, looking down at the blanket covering my lap.

Emira raised an eyebrow at me. "Oh?" she asked. "Do tell."

"Emira!" I groaned. "What do I do? I can't stop thinking of him. He's so handsome and so kind. So gentle and so very smart. He's so unlike anyone I've ever met. Why couldn't I have met him first?"

Emira squeezed my hand. "Oh my sweet friend," she said sweetly. "Quite the predicament you have yourself in. What do you plan to do?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "There is nothing I can do. I'm a married woman. In a week, I will be queen and required to produce an heir," I said sadly, the thought making me sick to my stomach. I had always wanted children but the thought of being intimate with Soobin then bearing his child caused my heart to hurt. Although I had hoped that the marriage would evolve into something more, all of that was dashed this morning in the garden. Soobin wanted nothing to do with me. He was clearly involved with Mina.

"How do you feel about that?" Emira asked, a look of concern on her face. "I thought you wanted to make a go of the marriage?"

I shook my head and explained what had happened in the garden, showing Emira the nail marks on my wrist.

Emira's expression changed from one of concern to one of absolute rage. "I will kill that slut if she ever puts a hand on you again," she said, her voice filled with barely restrained anger.

"Don't be silly," I said with a soft smile. "As much as I would love to see that, you cant just go off and kill someone you don't like."

"It's not just someone I don't like," Emira said. "It's someone I absolutely despise who had the gall to put her hands on a princess, on my best friend. That's a great reason to take her out."

I shook my head. "I love you my friend," I said, squeezing her hand. "I don't know what I would do if I didn't have you by my side through all this. What would I do without you?"

Emira kissed the top of my head. "No worries. You won't ever have to find that out," she said. "I will be here with you always."

Emira:

I sat there with YN for a little while longer until she finally fell into a restless sleep. I sat there for a moment longer thinking about the man she had described. I knew exactly who she was talking about. I had seen the looks the handsome man had given her and knew he shared the same feelings. I wished I could help her escape from this loveless marriage and find her happy ending, but I had no idea how to make that happen. Her parents would have to approve of her asking for an annulment and marrying the handsome man.

As wonderful as her parents were, I didn't really see that happening. The union between the two kingdoms was too important. The only way that it would be okay is if Soobin as king agreed to a joint monarchy. That definitely wasn't going to happen. Damn it. Why couldn't Taehyung be king? Why did he have to be the younger brother? I sighed and forced myself to calm down. Getting frustrated about the matter was not going to help the situation.

After my anxious mind calmed, I quietly exited her bedroom and made my way down to the palace kitchen, knowing I would find Jin there. Jin was seated at the island, having a glass of wine with said handsome man. I wanted to tell Jin about the conversation I had with YN, but I promised to keep her secret.

As I walked in, he held an arm out to me. I hugged him and he pressed his lips to my cheek. "Hello my darling," he said.

I returned the kiss and sat down as he got up to pour me a glass of wine. He must have been able to tell by the look on my face that I would need it. I gave him a grateful look when he set the glass in front of me. "Thanks," I said, running a hand down my face and draining half of the glass.

"You okay?" Jin asked, a look of concern on his face.

I hesitated but then explained what YN had told me about Mina and the garden. Jin sighed, his eyes filled with anger. He gestured towards the handsome man. "He saw Mina coming from the garden. She propositioned him as well," Jin said, his voice filled with disgust.

I turned to the handsome man in horror. "You're kidding me right?" I asked.

He shook his head. "I wish. I didn't know exactly what the princess had seen, but I figured it was something along those lines. She looked distraught when she passed me," he said, his eyes filled with sadness.

I sighed. "You should see the marks that bitch left on YN's wrist," I said.

The handsome man went to stand and Jin grabbed his wrist, halting his movements. "Calm down my friend," Jin said softly. "She's going to be okay. She's strong."

I drank the last of my wine then twirled the empty glass between my finger. "I don't how much longer she can be strong for. She's going to be expected to produce an heir within a year or two of the coronation," I said carefully, knowing how the handsome man felt about YN. "So you know what that means."

He sank back into his chair, his eyes filled with a look of horror and devastation. I felt a wave of sympathy for this sweet man. His love would be expected to be intimate with another man and bear his child. The only thing he could do is sit by and watch it happen. Watch as his heart broke piece by piece, until there was nothing left but tatters, leaving an empty shell of a man. A love like his could only happen once in a lifetime. I knew by the way he talked about her there was no going back. There would also be no one else for him. YN was it and always would be.